You are here

Five-Year Substitute Teacher Authorization Renewal

Preparing to Apply

Am I in the Right Place?

This checklist is for applicants seeking to renew a 5-year substitute teacher authorization. If you do not yet hold a substitute authorization, please review the other checklists and make the appropriate selection.

To qualify for a 5-year substitute authorization:

  • In-state applicants must hold or have held a Colorado teacher license.
  • Out-of-state applicants must hold a valid, non-Colorado teacher license. (If your out-of-state teacher license has expired since your first Colorado 5-year substitute authorization was issued, you must apply for a 3-year substitute authorization.)

If you do not meet these requirements, please apply for a 3-year substitute authorization.

Plan Ahead

  • You will need electronic copies of all documentation.
    ( Get Help with Document Scanning )
  • Allow ample time to request any third party transcripts or other documentation.

Application Fee:


Authorization Expires:

5 years from date of issue



  • In most cases, additional fingerprinting is not required for renewal applications.
    • If you already hold a valid, CDE-issued educational credential and have consistently maintained an active credential (authorization or license) since you submitted your fingerprints, you mayskip this step. We reserve the right to evaluate your application for adherence to the fingerprint requirements and will notify you by email should any follow-up be needed.
    • If you have submitted fingerprints for CDE credentialing in the past, but allowed all credentials to lapse and have held no active credential for a period exceeding 1 year, you must submit a new set of fingerprints to CBI for licensure purposes. Please review the information at the link below.

View Fingerprinting Instructions )


  • For applicants who have held a Colorado teaching license, obtain the detail from your past license or a copy of your teaching license certificate.
  • For applicants using an active out-of-state teaching license, obtain a copy of your current (unexpired) teaching license.


  • Within the application you must include employment history for at least the past 5 years.
    • Include employer/business name, dates of employment, reason for leaving, work addresses, supervisor names, and contact information.


  • If applicable, obtain supporting documentation on the following:
    • Past criminal history
    • Disciplinary actions
    • Any issues related to licensure or employment

    View Self-Disclosure Requirements )

Register and Apply

Once you have gathered all of the information listed above, you are ready to begin the online application process! Just register for the eLicensing system or, if you are already registered, log in.Then, select the Substitute Authorization application to get started.

Register   or    Log In


For questions, email or call 303-866-6628.