In addition to fulfilling a technical assistance requirement for our Colorado Charter School Program grant recipient schools, the Administrator Mentoring Cohort (AMC) is an induction program for charter school administrators. Charter school leaders who successfully complete the AMC induction program will be recommended for professional principal's licensure.
The AMC program utilizes the text Leverage Leadership, A Practical Guide to Building Exceptional Schools, by Paul Bambrick-Santoyo, to identify specific core ideas for charter leaders that directly support the following three goals:
- To provide charter leaders in start-up schools with quality support as they get their schools off the ground.
- For CCSP grant recipients-the AMC fulfills leadership training Technical Assistance requirements of the grant.
- To offer charter school leaders a 2 year induction program to validate their initial principal license in a way that is specifically designed to meet the unique needs and demands of the charter sector. Note: In order to be eligible for this induction program, school leaders must already hold their initial principal license and be working with an AMC approved mentor.
Additionally, The Colorado School Support Initiative (CSSI) Standards of quality charter schools are embedded into the AMC trainings. CSSI mirrors the Colorado Title I School Support evaluation process and CDE’s School Quality rubric. Specially trained teams of education experts provide schools a comprehensive evaluation based on The Standards-Based Teaching/Learning Cycle (second edition) research basis and the Colorado Standards and Indicators for Continuous School Improvement.
For charter schools, CDE has added a 9th standard covering board leadership and a 10th standard addressing charter school financial practices. CCSP sub-grantees are required to participate in a CSSI site visit during their third in the grant program. The purpose of engaging in this process is to set a course for self-improvement in the early years of development. The CSSI process begins with an intensive three day site visit, after which the school receives a detailed report based on the rubric, with recommendations for research-based steps to improve school performance.
Requirements and Eligability
There are 6 AMC trainings offered throughout each school year. There is no cost to participate in these trainings and any charter school leader who is interested may attend. If you are a charter school leader and want to join us for an AMC training, please register here. Please note that school leaders DO NOT need to be working at schools recieving Colorado Charter School Program (CCSP) grant funds or pursuing induction to participate in the AMC trainings. However if you are participating in the AMC to fulfil CCSP grant technical assistance requirements OR participating in the AMC Induction Program, the requirements for each of those programs has been outlined in the tables below.
|Grant Year||Trainings Required||Mentoring Hours Needed|
|Planning Year 0||1-2||8-10|
|Year 1 Implementation||4||32-40|
|Year 2 Implementation||4||20-25|
|Must hold an initial principal license and have been workng in a leadership role at a charter school with that license for at least 1 year.|
|Attend at least 4 trainings a year with your AMC approved mentor|
|Fulfill 32 hours within 2 years.|
Upcoming AMC Training Dates
Event dates and registration information can always be found on our Charter School Events page. This information is updated regularly as event locations are determined. Below are the dates for the 2016-17 AMC season. Trainings run from 8:30am-1:45pm. Following each AMC training, mentees are encouraged to stay and meet with their mentor (if mentors have attended the training with them) until 3pm to be able to fulfill mentoring hours.
Wednesday, September 7th, 2016 from 8:30am-3:00pm
Location: Academy for Advanced & Creative Learning
2510 N Chestnut St, Colorado Springs, CO 80907
Wednesday, November 16th, 2016 from 8:30am-3:00pm
Location: SkyView Academy
6161 Business Center Drive
Highlands Ranch, CO 80130
Wednesday, January 11th, 2017 from 8:30am-3:00pm
Location: Liberty Common School
1725 Sharp Point Drive
Fort Collins, CO 80525
Wednesday, February 15th, 2017 from 8:30am-3:00pm
Location: Compass Montessori (Golden Campus)
4441. Salvia St.
Golden, CO 80403
Wednesday, March 15, 2017 from 8:30am-3:00pm
Location: DSST: Byers
150 S Pearl St,
Denver, CO 80209
Wednesday, June 7th, 2017 from 8:30am-12:30pm
- Complete the Individualized Growth Plan (DOC) to establish goals and actions steps for this year and guide you in your work with your mentor.
- CSSI Standards (DOC) - Read more about the Charter School Support Initiative .
- The Mentoring Log Template (XLS) can be used to track the hours you have fulfilled with your mentor. This form will serve as record of completed hours.
- The Colorado League of Charter Schools runs a mentoring program that has been approved by the Schools of Choice Office. Any CCSP school leader doing their mentoring through the CLCS will earn credit for their school under the grant. Please contact Joni Malli (firstname.lastname@example.org) to enroll.
Questions pertaining to the AMC Induction Program:
Kelly Rosensweet, Charter and Innovation School Support Coordinator, Schools of Choice Office at CDE
If you have questions regarding the CSSP Grant please contact:
The Schools of Choice Office at CDE