The Schools of Choice Office has initiated the rule-making process to revise the existing list of automatic waivers due to recent changes in legislation. Until that process is complete and the new automatic waiver list is available, all waivers will go before the State Board for approval.
- Memo: Regarding Changes to Waiver Submission (June 2014)
- Please use this Waiver Request Form and the waiver request process outlined below when requesting waivers (July 2014)
Waiver Request Guidance-Charter Schools
This document provides an overview about why charter schools can request to waive out of state statute and rule, the process to apply for these waivers, how schools and districts receive notification of approval, frequently asked questions, and more.
- View the Waiver Request Guide
- Use the Pre-submission Checklist for Charter Waivers before submitting any documents to CDE (updated 6/30/14)
For a waiver request to be reviewed, please provide:
- An electronic, signed copy of the charter contract between the charter school and its authorizer, which includes a complete request of waivers as an appendix
- Waiver Request Form - complete, typed and signed (updated 11/16/12)
- A Rationale and Replacement Plan (RRP) for each waiver requested from state statute. This is a requirement for automatic and non-automatic waivers. View a Sample RRP.
- CDE READ Act Guidance for Charter Schools (10/17/13)
- Memo-S.B. 10-191: Reporting for Charters (updated 6/25/14)
- State Board Rules for Requesting Charter School Waivers
Approved Waivers by Charter School
- View a list of waivers that have been approved for each charter school as well as the frequency each state waiver has been requested by charter schools
Please contact Kelly Rosensweet with any questions: email@example.com