The Education Accountability Act of 2009 (SB 09-163) authorizes the Colorado Department of Education to conduct an annual review of the performance of public schools and districts in the state and to make recommendations to the State Board of Education concerning the type of school improvement plan to be implemented in each school and the accreditation category for each district.
The links to the left provide more detailed information around the different components of Colorado’s State Accountability System. Specifically:
- Statute and Regulations- provide the statutory requirements and associated State Board Rules upon which Colorado’s system is based.
- Policies and Procedures- provide the reference documents and guidance for how the statute and regulations are being implemented in Colorado.
- Stakeholder Roles- outlines the roles and responsibilities of stakeholders in the accountability process.
- District and School Performance Frameworks- provides more information on how the accountability reports are calculated and the annual results.
- Alternative Education Campuses (AECs)- provides information on accountability for our AECs, where 90% of students meet the legislated criteria for “high-risk”.
- School Accreditation and Request to Reconsideration process- provides information on how districts submit their schools’ accreditation ratings and how they request a reconsideration by the state of either the district’s accreditation rating or the school’s plan type assignment.
- Accountability Work Group - stakeholder group, consisting of regional superintendent representatives, school and district leadership and CASE, CASB, and CEA leaders made recommendations to CDE to enhance the School and District Performance Frameworks for the 2016 release.
Most Requested State Accountability Resources:
- 2017 District Accountability Timeline
- 2017 School Accountability Timeline
- Online Tutorial: Overview of Colorado's Accountability System (web-based)
- 2018 Accountability Handbook
- SB-163 Education Accountability Act of 2009 (Updated May 2013)