You are here
Update on Accountability for 2022:
Evaluation of Colorado’s K-12 Education Accountability System.
The evaluation report (also referred to as the accountability audit) was released by the legislative audit committee on December 12, 2022. You can access the report here: https://leg.colorado.gov/audits/evaluation-colorado%E2%80%99s-k-12-education-accountability-system
The report is a result of HB 21-1294. Overseen by the Office of the State Auditor, the selected evaluator was HumRRO. The recording of the presentation can be accessed here. The evaluator will also be providing a presentation on the report to the State Board of Education at their December 14, 2022 meeting. You can access information about the board meeting (e.g., location, livestream connection, materials) on their website.
The intent is to determine whether the current system:
- Meets the goals and intentions of the General Assembly, as stated in the legislative declarations set forth in Section 22-7-1002, C.R.S., and Section 22-11-102, C.R.S.
- Contains institutional or cultural biases based on race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, nationality, disability, age, or economic status.
- Provides an accurate, credible, and comparable assessment of public education throughout the state.
For Information about the state accountability process, visit:
State Accountability: This page describes resources on 2022 state accountability, including guidance and fact sheets.
District and School Performance Frameworks: This page includes access to reports called the District Performance Frameworks (DPFs) and School Performance Frameworks (SPFs). These reports include information abotu district and school performance reatings and inform the school accreditation process. In 2022, the frameworks are referred to as School and District Transitional Frameworks.
State Accountability Data Tools & Reports: This page links to data visualization tools and resources that are available to support the work of education stakeholders.
The U.S. Department of Education (ED) has approved the state’s waiver to make some adjustments to the ESEA identification process (e.g. Comprehensive Support and Improvement, Targeted Support and Improvement) in light of the two-year pause. For information on the ESEA identification process, visit the CDE ESSA State Plan website.
Unified Improvement Planning:
For information on creating, submitting and implementing a Unified Improvement Plan, visit the Unified Improvement Planning (UIP) website.
Link to flat files of district and school preliminary framework results
Link to resources, webinars and training regarding state accountability
Link to common questions for accountability this year
Link to announcements regarding school and district accountability
The Education Accountability Act of 2009 authorizes the Colorado Department of Education to conduct an annual review of the performance of public schools and districts in the state and to make recommendations to the State Board of Education concerning the type of school improvement plan to be implemented in each school and the accreditation category for each district.
About Colorado's Education Accountability System
Colorado’s education accountability system is based on the belief that every student should receive an excellent education and graduate ready to succeed. Successful schools and districts are recognized and serve as models, while those that are struggling receive support.
To support this goal, the Accountability and Data Analysis (ADA) Unit at CDE:
- Calculates Growth on CMAS, PSAT and English language proficiency
- Creates the School and District Performance Frameworks
- Accredits school districts and assigns school plan type assignments
- Reports student outcome data to the public and educators
- Assists districts and CDE staff in using student performance data to drive decision making
District Accountability Contacts
District Accountability Contacts must be registered with the Office of Accountability and Data Analysis and approved by the district superintendent in order to receive all state accountability-related communications, including information on performance frameworks and accreditation. When appointing a new Accountability Contact, superintendents are also granting access to student level Personally Identifiable Information (PII) associated with the accountability calculations.
This form allows superintendents to ensure CDE’s district contact information remains up-to-date and delegates access to state accountability files to a district staff member. If a hard copy of the form is needed, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Update on Accountability for 2022-23: SB 22-137 was passed and signed by the Governor on April 13, 2022. The legislation requires the department to calculate frameworks in 2022-23, but suspends automatic advancement on the accountability clock. The percentage of students contributing to the growth indicator is added to the framework for informational purposes. The request to reconsider process will be offered and can be used to exit performance watch (i.e., move to “on watch,” exit the clock fully) if meeting certain conditions (e.g., Improvement plan type or higher, 90% total participation on state assessments).
Accountability Rules for 2022: The state board finalized the accountability rules during a special meeting on June 16. Final rule language is available at the CDE website in both clean version and a version with changes underlined.
- 2022 Summary Change (DOC) - August 2022. This document describes the changes related to accountability and improvement planning for 2022.
- 2022 Annotated Framework Report (PDF) - August 2022. This resource is an annotated report that identifies key information and changes to the performance framework report since the prior release.
- District Accountability Handbook (PDF) - August 2022 This handbook provides an outline of the requirements and responsibilities for the state, district, and school stakeholders in the state’s accountability process.
- Priority Improvement and Turnaround Districts and Schools: A Supplement to the CDE District Accountability Handbook (PDF) - August 2022 This supplement provides further details on the requirements and responsibilities for the state, district, and school stakeholders for those identified as Priority Improvement and Turnaround.
- Participation and Accountability Guide (PDF) - November 2022 This resource describes assessment participation requirements and the role of participation in both state and federal accountability.
- Performance Watch Labels and Progression (DOC) - August 2022 This resource describes the performance watch process for the 2022-2023 school year and the associated requirements for each plan type, clock year, and performance watch status.
- Parent Notification and Public Hearing Requirements Fact Sheet (DOC) - August 2022 This document walks through the requirements for notifying and engaging stakeholders.
- Accountability Webinar (Recording and PowerPoint) - CDE staff hosted a webinar on June 29th to provide an overview and updates on accountability for the 2022-23 year. The webinar included a description of policy decisions that are unique to this school year.
General State Accountability Resources
- Colorado's School and District Accountability (PDF) - 2018 This fact sheet provides a one-page overview of accountability in Colorado.
- Sistema de Responsabilidad Académica de Colorado (PDF) - 2018 Esta hoja informativa proporciona una descripción general de una página de la responsabilidad en Colorado.
- Supporting Greats Schools and Districts for All Students: Overview of Colorado's Accountability System (PDF) - November 2016 This fact sheet provides an overview of Colorado's Accountability System.
- Colorado’s System for Identifying Schools for Support and Improvement (PDF) - July 2018 The purpose of this resource is to summarize what measures and metrics are evaluated in identifying schools for support and improvement.
- Accountability Clock (PDF) - October 2018 This fact sheet summarizes the implications if a school or district are identified as Priority Improvement or Turnaround for consecutive years.
- For more information on the state accountability laws, please visit our Statute, Regulations, and Policy page.
- For more information on research surrounding state accountability, please visit our Research page.
- For more information about AEC Accountability, please visit our Alternative Education Campus Accountability page.
For more information, please contact email@example.com.