CDE wants districts and schools to be successful, which is why they are held accountable for performance. The state annually evaluates the performance of districts and schools on a set of consistent, objective measures. In addition, the state has various program accountability requirements, including those under the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA).
While CDE values accountability, we also value support to help struggling districts and schools.
The District and School Performance Unit operates within the Colorado Department of Education to support districts and schools, to be able to demonstrate continual improvement in student achievement. The unit provides both universal and targeted support for districts in the state, depending on the level of support needed. Targeted technical assistance is provided to the lowest-performing districts and schools that receive performance ratings of Priority Improvement and Turnaround.
Theory of Action
- foster key conditions and research-based turnaround principles...
- diagnose and structure focused improvement planning...
- align and differentiate, and leverage the allocation of all funds to ensure equity and maximize impact...
- use select data and indicators to track and monitor progress...
- actively support new and growing turnaround talent development programs...
- pursue bold and urgent interventions and actions with schools and districts...
- our lowest-performing districts and schools will become the highest-performing districts and schools as measured by the State Performance Frameworks by August 2015.
Conditions for successful district and school improvement
- Culture of performance
- Focus on student achievement with support and accountability systems
- Differentiated support based on performance
- Defined autonomy and flexibility in resource allocation
- Talent management strategy - for teachers and leaders
- Post-secondary workforce readiness strategy
- Systems to communicate, monitor, and support school improvement efforts
- School board support
- Pathways for Priority Improvement and Turnaround Schools & Districts presentation (Jan. 28, 2014)
- End-of-clock Pathways and corresponding flowcharts
- District Accountability handbook
- District Accreditation and School Plan Categories
- Priority Improvement and Turnaround handbook