You are here
Add a Designation
Preparing to Apply
This checklist is for ...
Colorado teacher, special services, principals and administrator license-holders wishing to add a designation to their active initial or professional license
- English Learner Professional Learning (ELPL)
- required of all teachers who hold a professional license that expires on or after Sept. 1, 2025 with one or more of the following endorsements: elementary, English language arts, math, middle school math (and any previously issued middle-level endorsements), science and social studies
- READ Act
- required by the beginning of the 2022-23 school year of all individuals responsible for literacy instruction in a K, 1, 2 or 3 classroom
Not in the right place? Review the other checklists.
- For the English Learner Professional Learning designation:
- For the READ Act designation:
- A reading teacher or reading specialist endorsement (the READ Act designation automatically will be added certificate; you do not need to submit a separate application to add the designation);
- Appropriate coursework and a passing score on the PRAXIS 5205 exam;
- A university course in reading or a course completed for licensure renewal; (you first must submit your course to CDE for approval before applying); or
- A certificate of completion from a CDE-approved READ Act program (see Options 5, 6 and 7);
Gather the Necessary Information/Documentation
In the application you will need to include the following:
- For ELPL:
- A completed matrix documenting a total of 45 contact hours of completed coursework and/or professional development activities that addresses each of the standards and elements; OR
- A certificate of completion from a CDE-approved ELPL program.
- For READ Act:
- Your official PRAXIS 5205 score report (you will also need to attest to your completed coursework in the application);
- A copy of your official university transcript reflecting completion of a CDE-approved course;
- A certificate of completion from CDE (received in response to your coursework submission); or
- A certificate of completion from a CDE-approved READ Act program
- Log in to COOL
- Select the button in the"+ designation" button in the credential details section of your dashboard.
- Complete and submit the brief application. (If you hold multiple credentials, you need only to apply for each designation once. Upon approval, it will apply to all credentials held.)
- Upon approval, you will be notified that an updated certificate is available for you to view or print.
At the risk of repeating ourselves, we again reiterate these important reminders:
- Within 45 days of receipt (usually far sooner!), CDE will evaluate the application.
- Upon determination of qualification, CDE will notify the applicant and the corresponding certificate will be available for view or print in the individual's COOL account.
- If for some reason CDE is not able to access all documentation in the application, the application will be deemed "incomplete" and CDE will notify the applicant via email and specify the information needed to complete it.
- An applicant has 60 days from the date of this notification to cure the deficiency (i.e., provide the necessary information) or submit to the department a written request for reconsideration stating the basis for the request.
- CDE will provide a written response within 30 days of any request for reconsideration.
- An applicant who fails to cure the deficiency or request reconsideration within these 60 days will be deemed as having withdrawn the application, and such withdrawal shall not be subject to appeal or review.
- Once you have submitted an application, check your status regularly for notifications, updates and/or to print a copy of your certificate.
Questions? Email CDELicensing@cde.state.co.us or call 303-866-6628.