Office of Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Education
1560 Broadway, Suite 1100
The Office of Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Education provides support to Colorado school districts, schools, and educational leaders in the academic, linguistic, and social-emotional challenges and opportunities of culturally and linguistically diverse students to ensure equitable access to grade level standards and ensure a well-rounded education.
Congratulations 2018 12th Annual CLDE Academy Award Winners
- Application for the 2019 “Embracing All” Academy Student Art Contest. The application for the 2019 “Embracing All” Academy Student Art Contest and Teaching Support is now available. The Office of Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Education will honor an art student that demonstrates the theme of celebrating diversity through fine art. The winner and entering teacher will be invited and honored at the CLDE Academy Conference in the spring. Applications for this honor will be due no later than 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, February 13, 2019.
- Application for the 2019 Distinguished Administrator in Support of Culturally & Linguistically Diverse Learners. Each year, the Office of Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Education honors an exceptionally dedicated, knowledgeable and skilled administrator to represent the entire profession in Colorado. Applications for this honor will be due no later than 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, February 13, 2019.
- Application for the 2019 Session Proposal. Over the past 13 years, CDE's Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Education (CLDE) office has partnered with numerous stakeholders to offer this annual professional learning opportunity. Proposals are now open for submission to present on May 2, 2019. Applications will be due no later than 11:59 p.m. on Friday, February 15, 2019.
WIDA Screener (Online and Paper) and Colorado Identification Procedures
- Beginning July 1, 2018, the W-APT for grades 1-12 will no longer be available for Colorado schools and districts to use in the English Learner Identification process.
- Please note, kindergarten and first semester - first-grade students will still be assessed with the W-APT.
- For more information regarding Colorado Identification Procedures, please visit Identification and Placement on the CLDE website.
As part of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), CDE is required to address standards, assessments, school and district accountability and special assistance for struggling schools in a state plan. Revisions to Colorado’s ESSA state plan was submitted to the US Department of Education in October 2017. The US Department of Education has approved the plan and updates will be made to the 2018-19 ELD Guidebook based on the new requirements. Revisions and updates will be made to the following chapters below:
- Redesignation and Exit Guidance
- Identification of ELs
- ELs in the Statewide System of Accountability
- Colorado READ Act
To request the ELD Guidebook in pdf form, please click here.
Recently Arrived English Learners Toolkit
The White House announced, “Bright Spots” for welcoming and expanding opportunities for linguistic integration and education at end of June. The announcement identified a list of resources including the introduction of the U.S. Department of Education’s Newcomer Toolkit designed to help schools support immigrants, refugees, and their families with a successful integration process. This toolkit provides information, resources and examples of effective practices that educators can use to support newcomers in our schools and communities. We are pleased to share this tool with you.
English Learner Access to High-Quality Education
On January 7, 2015, the Department of Education's Office of Civil Rights and the Department of Justice released a Joint guidance to spell out the legal obligations of state and local education agencies to English learners. At the same time, Office of English Language Acquisition (OELA) released the first chapter of an English Learners Tool Kit (on identifying all English learners), offering checklists, tools, and resources to help SEAs and LEAs in fulfilling their obligations.