English Language Proficiency (ELP) standards are required by Colorado state and federal law. On December 10, 2009 the Colorado State Board of Education voted unanimously to adopt the English Language Development (ELD) standards developed by WIDA as the Colorado English Language Proficiency (CELP) standards. This site is designed to provide a hub of information regarding the CELP standards as well as to provide resources to facilitate teaching the CELP standards to support the academic achievement of all Colorado students through teaching academic language. The CELP standards are an essential guide for all educators to help English Learners (ELs) access grade level academic content while learning English.
There are 5 CELP Standards:
- English Learners communicate for Social and Instructional purposes within the school setting.
- English Learners communicate information, ideas, and concepts necessary for academic success in the content area of Language Arts.
- English Learners communicate information, ideas, and concepts necessary for academic success in the content area of Mathematics.
- English Learners communicate information, ideas, and concepts necessary for academic success in the content area of Science.
- English Learners communicate information, ideas, and concepts necessary for academic success in the content area of Social Studies.
The WIDA ELD Standards and resources are owned by the Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System on behalf of the WIDA Consortium. As a member of the consortium, Colorado educators may access the WIDA ELD standards and resources for noncommercial use. Fair use of the WIDA ELD Standards includes reproduction for the purpose of teaching (including multiple copies for lesson planning). The WIDA ELD Standards are protected by United States copyright laws and may not be reproduced, modified, or distributed without prior written permission. Do not alter or remove any trademark or copyright notice. For more information, visit the WIDA website here.
Standards Review and Revision
The CELP Standards were included in Colorado’s Academic Standards review and revision process which concluded July 1, 2018. As a result of this process, a voluntary committee designed the following resource library section of the CELP Standards website to provide Colorado educators with resources in an easily accessible and user-friendly format. For more information about the Colorado’s Academic Standards review and revision process, access information about Colorado's Academic Standards review and revision process.
Thank you to the CELP Standards Committee.
- Holly Porter, Director of Language Supports and Services, Cherry Creek Schools
CDE Content Specialist:
- Lulu Buck, ELD Specialist and World Language Content Specialist
- Carrie Dewaters, Student Services Coordinator, Englewood Schools
- Manissa D Featherstone, English Language Learner Coordinator, Adams 12 Five Star Schools
- Megan Fiore, English Language Learner Secondary Coordinator, Adams 12 Five Star Schools
- Christina Mendoza, ESL teacher 9-12, Weld County School District Re-8
- Elizabeth Skelton, Consultant
- Cynthia Valdez, ESL Content Facilitator / Coach, Mesa County Valley School District 51
- Angela Valdez, Assistant Principal, Harrison School District 2
Colorado Department of Education
Office of Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Education
1560 Broadway, Suite 1100
Denver, CO 80202