You are here
Teacher Loan Forgiveness
There are two types of Federal Loan Forgiveness programs intended to encourage individuals to enter and continue in the teaching profession.
Teacher Loan Forgiveness is directed to teachers who have Direct Subsidized Loans, Direct Unsubsidized Loans, Subsidized Federal Stafford Loans, and Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans. You must be teaching full-time for five (5) complete consecutive years at an eligible school, and at least one of those years must have been after the 1997-98 school year. Certain highly qualified special education or secondary math or science teachers can qualify for up to 17,500 in forgiveness. Other eligible teachers can qualify for up to 5,000. Qualified teachers apply for teacher loan forgiveness after completing the five-year teaching requirement.
For more information about the program, visit Teacher Loan Forgiveness at Student Aid.
Teacher Cancellation is for Federal Perkins Loans. A teacher may qualify for cancellation (discharge) up to 100% of a Federal Perkins Loan if they have taught for one (1) full academic year at full-time in a public or non-public elementary or secondary school. The loan is cancelled in the following increments:
- 15% cancelled for the first and second year of service
- 20% cancelled for the third and fourth year of service
- 30% cancelled for the fifth year of service
For more information about the program, visit Teacher Cancellation at Student Aid.
Tools & Resources
- Teacher Cancellation Low Income Directory (TLCI)
- US Department of Education- Student Loans Forgiveness
- Teacher Loan Forgiveness Application (PDF)
- Student Loan Guidebook
- Student Loan Forgiveness for Teachers
- Federal Student Aid Information Center: 800-433-3243
- Teach grant Information line: 855-265-4038
The only role of CDE in this Federal Program is to maintain the Teacher Cancellation Low Income Directory (TCLI). Teachers can search for their school in this directory to determine if the school qualifies as low income. If the school is eligible, the teacher should contact their loan provider to identify the necessary steps to determine eligibility for Federal Program Loan Forgiveness.
To search school eligibility, visit the Teacher Cancellation Low Income Directory (TLCI).
Process for Determining School Eligibility
A list of eligible schools is compiled once a year using Free and Reduced Lunch Program data collected at October Count. Schools on the Free and Reduced list for grades K-12 are eligible to be in the directory. CDE will automatically add eligible schools to the Teacher Cancellation Low Income Directory (TCLI) each year. The directory is updated for the current School Year by June of each year. However, if a school is not on the directory but should be, CDE will accept School Eligibility Applications throughout the year and review each application prior to updating the directory. If CDE receives an overwhelming amount of applications, the directory will be updated during an unscheduled month in the current year.
Criteria to be included in the TCLI Directory:
- School must be a public or other nonprofit elementary or secondary school. "Elementary school" or "secondary school" means a public or nonprofit non-public school that provides elementary education or secondary education (K-12 grade only) as determined by state law (or by the U.S. Department of Education if the school is not in a state).
- The number of children enrolled in a school who are counted under Section 1124© of the ESEA (federal definition of poverty) must exceed 30.01 percent of the total enrollment of that school (K-12 enrollment only).
- In accordance with Colorado school law, preschool programs are ineligible for inclusion in the Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program and will no longer be added to the TCLI Directory. Programs included in the directory in the previous years will remain on the directory for those years; however, they will no longer be included as of July 2019.
School Eligibility Application Form (DOC) Released October 2018
Eligibility Application Timelines
CDE will accept applications throughout the year.
Upcoming deadline for applications: November 30th, 2019
6/7/19: The directory is updated!
For Additional Information Contact:
Send an email
Send an email