You are here
SED/SEL/Behavior and COVID Resources
Our team has collected resources and tools specific to SED, SEL, behavior, and mental health that may be useful during this time as you plan for students.
The following resources are offered for consideration. This list does not comprehensively cover all possible resources. The listed resources are provided for information only. The Colorado Department of Education does not endorse, represent, or warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information, content, services, or other materials provided by these educational service providers. Any reliance upon any information, content, materials, products, services, or vendors included on or found through this listing shall be at the discretion of the user.
Guidelines for Determining Eligibility for Special Education for Students with Serious Emotional Disability
Guidelines for Determining Eligibility for Special Education for Students with Serious Emotional Disability (2017) (PDF)
CDE Topic Pages
- Visit the CDE Severe Emotional Disability (SED) Page
- Visit the SED Quality Indicators (QIs) Page
- Visit the CDE Social Emotional Learning Page
- Visit the CDE Behavior Page
CDE SED Wikispaces
The Colorado Department of Education, with the help of the 2015 Serious Emotional Disability (SED) Taskforce, created a wikispace with various tools for collecting data, action planning, and measuring fidelity of and for behavior interventions, including Functional Behavior Assessments (FBAs) and Behavior Intervention Plans (BIPs). This site allows for exploration of behavior tools: CDE Behavior Tools (Wikispaces).
Website Link: http://coloradocrisisservices.org
CRISIS LINE: 1-844-493-TALK (8255) is a 24/7/365 support line for anyone affected by a mental health, substance use or emotional crisis. All calls are connected to a mental health professional, who will provide immediate support and connections to further resources. WALK-IN CRISIS SERVICES/ STABILIZATION UNITS: Our walk-in crisis services are open 24/7, and offer confidential, in-person crisis support, information and referrals to anyone in need. If you need in-person assistance, or are helping others with a crisis, you can always visit a walk-in crisis services location near you. Some locations provide crisis beds for 1-5 days, for either voluntary or involuntary treatment. View the map to find the locations nearest you.
Teacher, Interrupted: Leaning into Social-Emotional Learning Amid the COVID-19 Crisis
- Social Maladjustment - Determining the Presence of Social Maladjustment While Considering Eligibility for Serious Disability (SED) and Intervention Strategies (PDF)
- IRIS Module, Classroom Behavior Management (Part 1): Key Concepts and Foundational Practices
- PBIS: Supporting Students During the Pandemic
- PBIS: 5 Essentials for Families
- Ten Positive Behavior Support Strategies to Support Families at Home This Positive Behavior TIPS for Parents at home was created by Kiki McGough. Kiki is on the Board of Directors for the Peak Parent Center and serves as a FSCP Rep for Association of Positive Behavior Support (APBS).
- School Mental Health and Behavior Listserv
- The School Mental Health and Behavior Listserv is a great way to receive information through periodic emails on statewide training(s), job opportunities, and mental health and/or behavior related events.
- CDE Behavior Tools Wiki
- Technical Assistance: Functional Behavioral Assistance (FBA) and Behavior Intervention Plans (BIP)
- Behavior Intervention Plan, English (Word)
- Behavior Intervention Plan, Spanish (Word)
Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) and SLD
- PBS Learning Media
- Sanford Programs
- CDE Document: A Brief Overview of the Comprehensive Health and Physical Wellness Standards
- CDE Comprehensive Health and Physical Wellness Standards
- Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning (CASEL) - CASEL’s mission is to help make evidence-based social and emotional learning (SEL) an integral part of education from preschool through high school.
- CASEL: What is SEL?
- National Center for Learning Disabilities (NCLD)
- The State of LD: Social, Emotional and Behavioral Challenges
- PassageWorks-Engaged Teaching and Learning
- Center on Grant Teachers and Leaders (AIR) Research to Practice Brief: Teaching the Whole Child: Instructional Practices That Support Social-Emotional Learning in Three Teacher Evaluation Frameworks
- The Aspen Institute's National Commission on Social, Emotional, and Academic Development: The Evidence Base for How We Learn Supporting Students’ Social, Emotional, and Academic Development Consensus
- Self-Regulation Briefs from University of North Carolina's Frank Porter Graham Child Development Institute
- Centre for Mindfulness Studies-What is Mindfulness
- Mindful - Taking Time for What Matters
- Getting Started with Mindfulness
- Article from Education Week on Mindfulness (2/2/17): Integrating Mindfulness in Education
- Mindfulness Toolkit
- Mindfulness Tools Tip sheets (Body scan, breathing, work, eating)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH) Meditation website
- Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Healthcare and Society
- American Mindfulness Research Association
- Dr. Kristin Neff’s Self Compassion website
Mindfulness is "The awareness that emerges through paying attention on purpose in the present moment, and nonjudgmentally to the unfolding of experience moment by moment."
"Mindfulness is paying attention with kindness to yourself, other people, and the world around you."
-Susan Kaiser Greenland, author of The Mindful Child
- Building Blocks of Brain Development
- CDE: Brain Injury in Children and Youth: A Manual for Educators (PDF)
- CDE Challenging Behavior and Executive Function (for students with brain injury and other neurologically impacted disabilities) (Video Modules - 9 parts)
NOTE: This was a full day training and is intended to be watched in its entirety. These are not stand alone.
- CHADD, The National Resource on ADHD
- Understood.org resources on Executive Function
For more information, please contact:
Phone: (720) 603-6000
Email Bill Brown
Having trouble with this webpage?
If you have problems with broken links or accessing the content on this page, please contact the Exceptional Student Services Unit at ESSU@cde.state.co.us. Please copy the URL link for this page into the email when referencing the problem you are experiencing.
Connect With Us