You are here

ESSER Engagement

ESSER engagement we want your feedback

ESSER Engagement Opportunities

CDE and the State Board of Education has been gathering feedback through a survey and series of public meetings in July to ensure our state makes the most impactful use of federal funds to support students, teachers and schools recovering from the interruption to our schools as a result of COVID-19.

Public Meetings 

Keystone Policy Center, on behalf of CDE, hosted virtual meetings to share information about the federal funds the state will receive and hear directly from attendees about the pandemic’s impact on students and educators to inform the use of these one time federal funds.

View the PowerPoint Presentation shown at every stakeholder meeting (PDF).

Past meetings

  • Teachers: Thursday, July 1
  • Parents: Thursday, July 1       
  • Community Organizations: Wednesday, July 7
  • Students: Thursday, July 8

  • Principals: Wednesday, July 14
  • Administrators: Wednesday, July 14
  • Advocacy Organizations: Monday, July 19
  • Educator Preparation Programs: Tuesday, July 20


Questions

For questions about the sessions or the survey, contact Berrick Abramson at the Keystone Policy Center who coordinated and facilitated the meetings on behalf of CDE.

Background

In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Congress has passed three stimulus bills which include funding for education: the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act (March 2020), the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations (CRRSA) Act (December 2020), and the American Rescue Plan (ARP) Act (March 2021). Each stimulus bill provided funding for the Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER) fund. The ESSER fund directs 90% of the total state allocation to local education agencies (LEAs) based on the Title I formula and the remaining 10% for a state reserve fund. CDE is seeking stakeholder input on the use of state ESSER funding (10%). In Colorado, this amounts to approximately $134 million that has not yet been allocated.

CDE must submit to the U.S. Department of Education our plan for the use of ESSER funds at the end of the summer. To help us prepare our proposal and maximize the impact of these one-time funds to advance transformational changes and directly address challenges created, exacerbated or highlighted by the pandemic, we wanted to hear from those directly affected. Throughout June and July, CDE listened to students, parents, teachers, school and system leaders along with community organizations, teacher preparation program leaders and our own staff who support educators across the state.

Antecedentes Adicionales:

En respuesta a la pandemia de COVID-19, el Congreso aprobó tres proyectos de ley de estímulo que incluyen fondos para la educación: la Ley de Ayuda, Alivio y Seguridad Económica por Coronavirus (CARES) (Marzo de 2020), la Ley de Asignaciones Suplementarias de Respuesta y Alivio al Coronavirus (CRRSA). (Diciembre de 2020) y la Ley del Plan de Rescate Americano (ARP) (Marzo de 2021). Cada proyecto de ley de estímulo proporcionó fondos para el fondo de Ayuda de Emergencia para Escuelas Primarias y Secundarias (ESSER). El fondo ESSER dirige el 90% de la asignación estatal total a las agencias de educación locales (LEA) según la fórmula del Título I y el 10% restante para un fondo de reserva estatal. El CDE está buscando la opinión de las partes interesadas sobre el uso de los fondos estatales ESSER (10%). En Colorado, esto asciende a aproximadamente $134 millones que aún no se han asignado.

El CDE debe presentar al Departamento de Educación de EE. UU. Nuestro plan para el uso de los fondos de ESSER al final del verano. Para ayudarnos a preparar nuestra propuesta y maximizar el impacto de estos fondos únicos para promover cambios transformacionales y abordar directamente los desafíos creados, exacerbados o resaltados por la pandemia, queremos escuchar a los directamente afectados. Durante Junio y Julio, estaremos escuchando a los estudiantes, padres, maestros, líderes escolares y del sistema junto con organizaciones comunitarias, líderes del programa de preparación de maestros y nuestro propio personal que apoya a los educadores en todo el estado.