You are here
Turnaround Leadership Development Program
The School Turnaround Leadership Development Program, made possible through SB 14-124, establishes and promotes leadership training specifically for the turnaround environment and is an integral part of Colorado’s state-wide strategy to improve the performance of students in the lowest-performing schools and districts in the state. The grant program releases two RFPs, one for providers and one for participants.
It is the intention of CDE and the Office of Priority Improvement and Turnaround Support to align the support offered through the turnaround leadership development Provider and Participant grants with other supports and partnerships offered through CDE. Applicants are encouraged to review other support systems.
- Evaluation Report to the Colorado Legislature on the School Turnaround Leaders Development Program from 2014-2018 (PDF)
The Participant RFP is intended for districts, charter schools, or the Charter School Institute to apply for state funds in order to have eligible teachers, principals, and district staff enroll and participate in the identified Providers. Applicants may request funds to support teacher leaders, school leaders, and district staff who directly work in or support schools with identified Priority Improvement or Turnaround plan types, according to the Colorado School Performance Frameworks.
Starting with the 2018-2019 school year, the Participant RFP is now a part of the Empowering Action for School Improvement (EASI) appllication. With the passage of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), Colorado is taking the opportunity to change the way school improvement (1003a) funds are awarded to LEAs. Rather than multiple applications on separate timelines, CDE is now streamlining school improvement opportunities into a single application and using a “needs-based approach” to award services and funding.
Information about the EASI process is available in the links below:
The Provider RFP is intended for existing or new leadership development providers. Applicants may apply to have a new or existing program identified as meeting the criteria and quality as outlined in the RFP. Such identified Providers would then be eligible to enroll participants and to receive state funds through the Participant RFP. Provider applicants may also apply for one-time design grants to support the creation and/or development of their turnaround leadership development programs. Applicants must agree to serve leaders in more than one district across the state.
2019-2020 Provider Overview Forthcoming
Please click on each of the Providers for more information about their programs.
- Generation Schools Network (PDF)
- NYC Leadership Academy (NYCLA): Aspiring Principals Program (PDF)
- NYC Leadership Academy (NYCLA): Leadership Development for Turnaround Schools (PDF)
- NYC Leadership Academy (NYCLA): Foundations of Principal Supervision (PDF)
- Public Consulting Group, Inc. (PDF)
- Relay Graduate School of Education: Instructional Leadership Professional Development (ILPD) (PDF)
- Relay Graduate School of Education: National Principals Academy Fellowship (NPAF) (PDF)
- Relay Graduate School of Education: National Principal Supervisors Academy (NPSA) (PDF)
- Relay Graduate School of Education: Regional Support Program (PDF)
- TNTP (PDF)
- University of Denver: Educational Leadership & Policy Studies (ELPS) (PDF)
- University of Denver: Turnaround Success (PDF)
- University of Virginia Partnership for Leaders In Education (PDF)
- Evaluation Report to the Colorado Legislature, School Turnaround Leaders Development Program, January 2018 (PDF)
- Evaluation Report to the Colorado Legislature, School Turnaround Leaders Development Program, March 2017 (PDF)
- Evaluation Report to the Colorado Legislature School Turnaround Leaders Development Program, June 2015 (PDF)
Turnaround Leadership Resources
- Colorado State Board of Education Rules for the Administration of the School Transformation Grant Program
- School Turnaround Leaders: Competencies for Success, Public Impact, 2008 (PDF)
- School Turnaround Leaders: Selection Toolkit, Public Impact, 2008 (PDF)
- Turnaround Leader Competency Self-Assessment-Public Impact (DOC)
- School Turnaround Leader Competencies (PDF)
- Using Competencies to Improve Turnaround Principal Success, Public Impact and University of Virginia's Darden/Curry Partnership for Leaders in Education, 2011 (PDF)
Please feel free to contact Kate Bartlett, Bartlett_K@cde.state.co.us with questions about the School Turnaround Leadership Development Program.