You are here
The Education Accountability Act of 2009 authorizes the Colorado Department of Education to conduct an annual review of the performance of public schools and districts in the state and to make recommendations to the State Board of Education concerning the type of school improvement plan to be implemented in each school and the accreditation category for each district.
About Colorado's Education Accountability System
Colorado’s education accountability system is based on the belief that every student should receive an excellent education and graduate ready to succeed. Successful schools and districts are recognized and serve as models, while those that are struggling receive support.
To support this goal, the Accountability and Data Analysis (ADA) Unit at CDE:
- Calculates Growth on CMAS, PSAT and English language proficiency
- Creates the School and District Performance Frameworks
- Accredits school districts and assigns school plan type assignments
- Reports student outcome data to the public and educators
- Assists districts and CDE staff in using student performance data to drive decision making
Link to flat files of district and school final 2022 framework results
Accountability Resources and Support
Link to resources, webinars and training regarding state accountability
Task Force to Study K-12 Accountability System
Link to information on the evaluation of accountability and
the associated Accountability Task Force
District Accountability Contacts
District Accountability Contacts must be registered with the Office of Accountability and Data Analysis and approved by the district superintendent in order to receive all state accountability-related communications, including information on performance frameworks and accreditation. When appointing a new Accountability Contact, superintendents are also granting access to student level Personally Identifiable Information (PII) associated with the accountability calculations.
New Accountability Contact Appointment Form
This form allows superintendents to ensure CDE’s district contact information remains up-to-date and delegates access to state accountability files to a district staff member. If a hard copy of the form is needed, please contact email@example.com.
Latest Accountability Communications:
- (3/29/2023) Accountability Update (PDF)
- (3/22/2023) Accountability Update (PDF)
- (12/12/2022) Accountability Update (PDF)
2023 Accountability Resources
- On-Track Growth Fact Sheet (PDF) - March 2023. This document summarizes the on-track growth measure and timeline for implementation.
- SBD and Accountability Fact Sheet (PDF) - April 2023. This resources describes the Student Biographical Data (SBD) review process and its impact on accountability calculations and reporting.
- Higher Bar Sub-Indicators Fact Sheet (PDF) - April 2023. The purpose of this fact sheet is to describe the implementation of the new Higher Bar measures to be included within the performance frameworks.
- Anticipated Framework Changes (PDF) - April 2023. The state is gearing up to include a few new measures (e.g., On-Track Growth, two new additions to the Postsecondary and Workforce Readiness indicator and science achievement) within the performance frameworks in alignment with state statute. The informational release of results is planned for January 2024. The new measures are anticipated to be included in the frameworks for points in fall 2024.
- 2023 Participation and Accountability Guide (DOC) - April 2023. This resource describes assessment participation requirements and the role of participation in both state and federal accountability.
- Summary Accountability and Improvement Planning Changes for 2023 (PDF) - May 2023. This document describes the changes related to accountability and improvement planning for 2023.
2022 Accountability Resources
- 2022 Summary Change (DOC) - August 2022. This document describes the changes related to accountability and improvement planning for 2022.
- 2022 Annotated Framework Report (PDF) - August 2022. This resource is an annotated report that identifies key information and changes to the performance framework report since the prior release.
- District Accountability Handbook (PDF) - August 2022 This handbook provides an outline of the requirements and responsibilities for the state, district, and school stakeholders in the state’s accountability process.
- Priority Improvement and Turnaround Districts and Schools: A Supplement to the CDE District Accountability Handbook (PDF) - August 2022 This supplement provides further details on the requirements and responsibilities for the state, district, and school stakeholders for those identified as Priority Improvement and Turnaround.
- Performance Watch Labels and Progression (DOC) - August 2022 This resource describes the performance watch process for the 2022-2023 school year and the associated requirements for each plan type, clock year, and performance watch status.
- Parent Notification and Public Hearing Requirements Fact Sheet (DOC) - August 2022 This document walks through the requirements for notifying and engaging stakeholders.
- Accountability Webinar (Recording and PowerPoint) - CDE staff hosted a webinar on June 29th to provide an overview and updates on accountability for the 2022-23 year. The webinar included a description of policy decisions that are unique to this school year.
General State Accountability Resources
- Colorado's School and District Accountability (PDF) - 2018 This fact sheet provides a one-page overview of accountability in Colorado.
- Sistema de Responsabilidad Académica de Colorado (PDF) - 2018 Esta hoja informativa proporciona una descripción general de una página de la responsabilidad en Colorado.
- Supporting Greats Schools and Districts for All Students: Overview of Colorado's Accountability System (PDF) - November 2016 This fact sheet provides an overview of Colorado's Accountability System.
- Colorado’s System for Identifying Schools for Support and Improvement (PDF) - July 2018 The purpose of this resource is to summarize what measures and metrics are evaluated in identifying schools for support and improvement.
- Accountability Clock (PDF) - October 2018 This fact sheet summarizes the implications if a school or district are identified as Priority Improvement or Turnaround for consecutive years.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Connect With Us