You are here
State Review Panel
Learn more about UIP timelines including extensions for public posting of UIPs and proposed permanent timeline shifts.
With the passage of Colorado Educational Accountability Act, the state has embarked upon a comprehensive process to ensure an aligned and balanced accountability system. The underpinning philosophy of the accountability system is that schools and districts that meet basic state expectations hold increased autonomy; whereas, schools and districts not meeting those expectations will be eligible for increased support, as well as increased monitoring. To support a system of checks and balances, the Act created the State Review Panel.
State Review Panel Responsibilities
The Commissioner may assign the SRP to critically evaluate a school implementing a Priority Improvement or Turnaround Plan or a district Accredited with Priority Improvement Plan or Accredited with Turnaround Plan. Such critical evaluation may include an on-site visit. (See C.R.S. §22-11-208(3)).
Based on its critical evaluation, the SRP shall report to the Commissioner, State Board of Education and the affected local school board recommendations concerning the following six (6) criteria:
1. Whether leadership is adequate to implement change to improve results.
2. Whether the infrastructure is adequate to support school improvement.
3. The readiness and apparent capacity of personnel to plan effectively and lead the implementation of appropriate actions to improve student academic performance within the school or district.
4. The readiness and apparent capacity of personnel to engage productively with and benefit from the assistance provided by an external partner.
5. The likelihood of positive returns on state investments of assistance and support to improve the performance within the current management structure and staffing.
6. The necessity that the public school/district remain in operation to serve students.
Review Structure and Recommendation
The State Review Panel evaluates schools and districts through two types of reviews:
- Document Review (paper-based evaluation)
- Site Visit (document review plus interviews and classroom observation.
Based on the information gleaned through the evaluation process, Panelists make final recommendations to the Commissioner and State Board of Education.
State Review Panelists
State Review Panelists are annually appointed by CDE’s Commissioner, with the approval of the State Board of Education. State Review Panelists must have expertise in one or more of the following fields:
- School district or school leadership or governance
- Standards-based elementary or secondary curriculum instruction and assessment
- Instructional data management and analysis
- School district, school, or program evaluation
- Educational program management
- Teacher leadership
- Organizational management or school district and public governance
- School district or school budgeting and finance
- Any other field that the commissioner deems to be relevant to the review and evaluation of school district, institute, or public school performance or improvement planning.
For specific questions regarding the State Review Panel, please contact Paige Gonzalez at firstname.lastname@example.org.