Planning teams must gather and organize relevant data generated from a variety of sources as they prepare to plan. Within the unified improvement planning process, data is used to:
- identify trends and prioritize performance challenges (performance data)
- determine root causes (process and perception data)
- set targets (federal, state and local performance expectations)
- monitor progress towards performance targets (interim measures of student performance)
- monitor implementation of major improvement strategies (process and perception data)
To effectively engage in unified improvement planning, planning teams will need to access both state-provided and locally available data.
The UIP Handbook section Preparing to Plan provides greater detail to support planning teams in their data gathering efforts.
For tools and resources related to accessing and organizing data, visit the "Accessing and Organizing Data: Tools" page (also accesible through the left-hand navigation menu). This page includes downloadable documents and examples to assist planning teams through the UIP process.