You are here
IHEs: Educator Preparation Program Authorization, Reauthorization and Added Endorsement
Welcome! If you’re reading this, then you’re interested in either:
- Developing an educator preparation program at an Institute of Higher Education (IHE),
- Participating in the Reauthorization Process of an existing program at an IHE or
- Adding an endorsement to an existing program at an IHE.
On this page, you'll find a brief overview of the three processes. If you are looking to review a list of Educator Preparation Programs in Colorado, you can find that information in our Searchable Database.
Completion of preparation programs at IHEs lead to an array of licensure endorsement possibilities for candidates. The Colorado Department of education (CDE) and the Department of Higher Education (DHE) both play a role in the authorization and reauthorization processes of IHE-based licensure programs.
If you have questions pertaining to degree requirements or if you are looking for information on becoming a new Institute of Higher Education in Colorado, please contact DHE. This information applies only to IHEs looking to create traditional educator preparation programs or IHEs that have existing traditional educator preparation programs that wish to add a new endorsement to a program. Example of programs and endorsements include Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CLD), Math, Science, Gifted Education, Special Service Professionals (SSP), and so on.
Traditional preparation programs offered through IHEs provide a pathway for developing educators in Colorado. IHEs that offer traditional educator preparation programs are charged with preparing the breadth of licensed personnel who serve Colorado’s children. Each IHE has a unique teaching and learning mission that guides the way that they serve educator candidates across the state.
Educator Preparation Program Reports
The Educator Preparation Programs Report, featuring an interactive dashboard, is available with information about the effectiveness of Colorado programs training teachers, principals and special services providers, as well as information about new teachers entering the workforce.
New Mentor Teacher Endorsement
Senate Bill 19-190 charged the CDE with the creation of a Mentor Teacher endorsement. The standards for this endorsement were drafted by a stakeholder group during the summer and fall of 2019. The standards were then adopted by the State Board of Education at their November 2019 meeting. To allow educator preparation programs the ability to become approved for this new endorsement area and offer this to educators during the summer or fall of 2020, the CDE is having a special endorsement window for the mentor endorsement standards this spring semester. The Mentor Teacher endorsement window is open now and programs must submit by March 27, 2020 to have the ability to get this endorsement reviewed and approved by the State Board of Education by June 2020. Click here for more information and to access the Mentor Teacher endorsement application.
CDE's Requirements for Initial Authorization or Reauthorization of an IHE
- Review IHE Guidelines (always confirm you have the most recent version of the guidelines)
- Submit Documentation per directions in the IHE Guidelines Document
- Educator Preparation Standards Matrices
- For initial authorization: An online submission platform will be provided by CDE. Please email CDE (Educator_Development@cde.state.co.us) to request the submission link and guidelines.
- For reauthorization, please email CDE (Educator_Development@cde.state.co.us) to coordinate submission of materials.
Authorization and Reauthorization Submission Timeline
Application/Matrices Submission Timeline
|Review of Submission Occurs|
|New Educator Preparation Program Authorization||June 1- November 30||January, 1-2 days|
|Authorization of Added Endorsement Program||June 1 - November 30||January, 1-2 days|
|Reauthorization visits scheduled for September, October, November, and December||June 30||July, 1-2 days|
|Reauthorization visits scheduled for January, February, March, April, and May||October 31||November, 1-2 days
Click here for a schedule of upcoming re-authorizations.
CDE's Requirements for Adding an Endorsement to an existing IHE
- CDE, along with the Colorado Department of Higher Education, have released an updated process for adding a new endorsement area to an existing IHE program. Click here to download a PDF document that outlines this process.
- Submit Documentation for endorsement area(s) IHE is seeking approval to offer.
- Educator Preparation Standards Matrices
- Please email CDE (Educator_Development@cde.state.co.us) when you are ready to begin the application process.