Welcome! If you’re reading this, then you’re interested in either:
- Developing an educator preparation program at an Institute of Higher Education (IHE),
- Participating in the Reauthorization Process of an existing program at an IHE or
- Adding an endorsement to an existing program at an IHE.
On this page, you'll find a brief overview of the three processes. If you are looking to review a list of Educator Preparation Programs in Colorado, you can find that information in our Searchable Database.
Completion of preparation programs at IHEs lead to an array of licensure endorsement possibilities for candidates. The Colorado Department of education (CDE) and the Department of Higher Education (DHE) both play a role in the authorization and reauthorization processes of IHE-based licensure programs.
If you have questions pertaining to degree requirements or if you are looking for information on becoming a new Institute of Higher Education in Colorado, please contact DHE. This information applies only to IHEs looking to create traditional educator preparation programs or IHEs that have existing traditional educator preparation programs that wish to add a new endorsement to a program. Example of programs and endorsements include Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CLD), Math, Science, Gifted Education, Special Service Professionals (SSP), and so on.
Traditional preparation programs offered through IHEs provide a pathway for developing educators in Colorado. IHEs that offer traditional educator preparation programs are charged with preparing the breadth of licensed personnel who serve Colorado’s children. Each IHE has a unique teaching and learning mission that guides the way that they serve educator candidates across the state.
English Learner Standards
All educator pre-service programs including Colorado Institutes of Higher Education Educator Preparation entities and Colorado Alternative Educator Preparation entities must ensure the English Learner standards referenced in section 5.12-5.15 of 1 CCR 301-37 are fully taught, addressed and practiced in their programs. These standards equate to approximately 6 semester hours or the equivalent of 90 clock-hours. Educator preparation programs seeking more detailed information on this process should visit the English Learner Educator Preparation Pathways page . These standards are a supplement, not a supplant, of the Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CLD) Endorsement. These standards can and should be aligned to the CLD endorsement standards as noted in 1 CCR 301-101 if the educator preparation entity is seeking to graduate students with dual endorsements in a content area and in CLD.
As preparation programs demonstrate to CDE that they meet these requirements in their programs, those programs will be listed on this page.
One Time Only Window for Adding Middle School Math Endorsement
For EPPs who are already approved to offer the secondary math endorsement, one may submit a streamlined application from August 15 - February 1, 2019 if you would like to ensure a program offering for the 2019-20 school year. The applications will be reviewed this winter with the intent to be go before the SBE in the early spring. Due the expected volume of applications for this new endorsement, CDE is offering this special one-time only window for middle school math endorsements only. The Middle School Math endorsement matrix is available on the website.
For those EPPs who are not currently approved to offer secondary math and for those who are approved but do not plan on submitting during this one-time only timeline for middle school math, then the annual submission and regular timeline for applying to add endorsements (June 1-Nov 30 each year) will apply. Any questions related to completing the application to add Middle School Math endorsement can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Complete the Educator Preparation Standards Matrices for Middle School Math.
- Middle School Math Endorsement Application Please have the matrix and all other supporting documents ready to be uploaded at the time of completing the application.
CDE's Requirements for Initial Authorization or Reauthorization of an IHE
- Please note the updated timelines for program reauthorization reviews as of April 2018.
- Review IHE Guidelines (always confirm you have the most recent version of the guidelines)
- Submit Documentation per directions in the IHE Guidelines Document
- Educator Preparation Standards Matrices
- For initial authorization: An online submission platform will be provided by CDE. Please email CDE (Educator_Development@cde.state.co.us) to request the submission link and guidelines.
- For reauthorization, please email CDE (Educator_Development@cde.state.co.us) to coordinate submission of materials.
CDE's Requirements for Adding an Endorsement to an existing IHE
- Submit Documentation for endorsement area(s) IHE is seeking approval to offer.
- Educator Preparation Standards Matrices
- Please email CDE (Educator_Development@cde.state.co.us) when you are ready to begin the application process.