These tools are meant to be used by district leadership and principals when communicating with their staff or community about Colorado’s assessments. All resources can be modified and personalized to meet individual needs. Resources will be continually added to this page so make sure to check back often.
The following items are designed to help districts and schools communicate with parents about the upcoming Colorado Measures of Academic Success (CMAS) assessments. These materials can be shared in newsletters or during parent information events or parent-teacher conferences. All materials may be tailored to meet your local needs.
- CMAS: what to expect for the 2017-18 school year (PDF)
Use this as a handout at back-to-school night or include a link to it in your school newsletter.
- CMAS: when will tests be given (PDF)
Use this for a quick at-a-glance reminder of what tests students will take and when the tests will be given for the 2017-18 school year.
- Purpose and Value of State Assessments (PDF)
This fact sheet will help parents and educator understand the role that state assessments have in increasing the academic achievement of students in Colorado.
- Frequently Asked Questions
Colorado Measures of Academic Success (CMAS) (PDF)
Refer to this to help answer questions from both teachers and parents about state tests this year.
- CMAS results & school/district accountability
- CMAS results & teacher evaluations
- Drop-in articles
Use these entire articles or just portions of them to communicate with educators and parents about the upcoming 2018 CMAS tests.
- From superintendents or principals to parents/school community about Score Reports (DOC)
- From superintendents or principals to Educators About Score Reports (DOC)
- From superintendents or principals to parents and teachers about 9th-graders taking the PSAT (DOC)
- Sample letter from superintendents or principals to parents about score reports (DOC)
(to include with individual student score report)
- 2016-17 sample score reports - Provide these sample score reports to parents before they receive their own students' reports to help them know what to expect and how to understand the new reports.
- Parent's Guide to Understanding the Score Reports (PDF) - Use this two-page document to help teachers, parents, and students understand Colorado's English language arts and math tests score reports.
- How to Use the Test Results to Support Your Student (PDF) - This one-page document provides parents with basic background information and simple ideas for using the test results to support their student's academic success.
- Transitioning to 21st century standards and assessments (PDF)
Meaningful and relevant assessments work hand in hand with rigorous academic standards. Assessments provide ongoing measures of student learning at each grade level. The data from assessments is critical in determining if educational goals are being met and if students are on track to graduate prepared for college and career. The Colorado Academic Standards are the foundation for the state assessments in science, social studies, English language arts and mathematics.
- Accountability guidance (HB 15-1323) (PDF)
HB15-1323 affects several different education issues, including state assessments, educator effectiveness and assessment pilots. This summary provides details on the changes to school and district accountability.
- State and federal assessment requirements (PDF)
Access this quick reference on the federal and state required assessments.
- Introduction to the Colorado Academic Standards (PDF)
The Colorado Academic Standards (CAS) are the expectations of what students need to know and be able to do at the end of each grade. They also stand as the values and content organizers of what Colorado sees as the future skills and essential knowledge for our next generation to be more successful. Read this fact sheet for an introduction to the CAS.
- Common Core English language arts standards (PDF)
Colorado has updated academic standards in 10 content areas for preschool through 12th grade. The Colorado Academic Standards for reading, writing and communicating (English language arts) and for mathematics incorporate the Common Core State Standards. This fact sheet provides an overview of the Common Core English language arts standards.
- Common Core mathematics standards (PDF)
Colorado has updated academic standards in 10 content areas for preschool through 12th grade. The Colorado Academic Standards for reading, writing and communicating (English language arts) and for mathematics incorporate the Common Core State Standards. This fact sheet provides an overview of the Common Core mathematics standards.