You are here
Dyslexia Working Group
Dyslexia Working Group
During the 2019 legislative session, the Colorado General Assembly passed House Bill 19-1134 (PDF), Identification and Interventions for Students with Dyslexia. The bill creates a working group appointed by the Commissioner of Education to analyze state and national data and practices concerning identification and support of students with dyslexia. The working group will also recommend dyslexia screening tools and processes, a statewide plan for identifying and supporting students with dyslexia, and educator training in recognizing and providing interventions for students with dyslexia. The working group must submit a report of its recommendations to the Commissioner, and the Commissioner must submit the report to the State Board of Education and the education committees of the General Assembly.
The bill also establishes a pilot program to assist local education providers in using READ act assessments to screen for dyslexia and in providing interventions for students who are identified as having dyslexia. More information about the pilot program will be available in the late fall of 2019.
For questions regarding the Dyslexia Working Group, please contact Melissa Colsman at 303.866.6737 or Colsman_M@cde.state.co.us
Working Group Facilitation
CDE is pleased to announce the selection of Ms. Deborah Hunsaker, M.ED., as the facilitator of the Dyslexia Working Group. Ms. Hunsaker shares the CDE’s strong commitment to improved Dyslexia screening, identification, and support for Colorado’s students. The primary roles of the facilitator are to manage the working group meetings and record the working group’s recommendations in a final report. All meeting agendas and summaries will be publicly available on this webpage.
Meeting Dates and Locations
All meetings of the Dyslexia Working Group will be open to the public; however, only working group members will have an active role in the meeting. The Working Group meetings will be held on the following dates, from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm.
- September 20, 2019: CDE, 201 E. Colfax, State Board of Education room
- Agenda | Meeting Summary
- October 17, 2019: CDE, 201 E. Colfax, State Board of Education room
- November 8, 2019: CDE, 201 E. Colfax, State Board of Education room
- December 6, 2019: CDE, 201 E. Colfax, State Board of Education room
- January 8, 2020: TBA
- March 12, 2020: TBA
- April 8, 2020: TBA
- May 22, 2020: CDE, 201 E. Colfax, State Board of Education room
HB 19-1134 specifies that the membership of the Dyslexia Working Group consist of the following:
- A parent of a child who is identified as having dyslexia
- A parent of a child who is identified as having dyslexia and a disability
- A school district literacy specialist
- A school district director of special education
- A state or national literacy expert
- A state or national dyslexia expert
- Two elementary grade teachers, one of whom teaches in a rural school district or a small rural school district
- A principal who is employed at an elementary school in a rural school district or an employee of a board of cooperative services who has expertise as a literacy specialist
- A faculty member of an institution of higher education who teaches in an approved educator preparation program for elementary grade teachers
- A member of the local chapter of an international dyslexia association
Dyslexia Working Group Members
Anticipated Timeline of Activities
Below is the anticipated timeline of activities related to the Dyslexia Working Group. The timeline is subject to change so interested parties are encouraged to check this webpage frequently for updates.
- CDE posts notification of opportunity for potential Dyslexia Working Group facilitators
- CDE publishes application process for membership in the Dyslexia Working Group
- CDE announces the facilitator for the working group
- CDE contacts applicants for the working group
- Dyslexia Working Group launched
- Dyslexia Working Group submits progress report to the Commissioner of Education
- Dyslexia Working Group submits first annual report of policy recommendations to the Commissioner of Education
- Commissioner of Education submits first annual Dyslexia Working Group report with any legislative recommendations to the State Board of Education and the education committees of the House of Representatives and the Senate.