The Early Literacy Assessment Tool Project (ELAT)
The 2012 School Finance Act required CDE to select a contractor to supply an early literacy assessment tool that teachers may use to obtain real-time assessments of the reading skill levels of students in kindergarten through third grade. The intent was to support state purchase of software that provides individualized assessments with immediate results, stores and analyzes those results, and recommends activities based on those results.
Through a competitive bid process, the contract was awarded to Amplify for its DIBELS Next system and Burst diagnostic reading assessments in January, 2013. Pending legislative approval during the 2014 session, the department will offer the project for the 2014-15 school year. For the 14-15 school year DIBELS Deep was added as the diagnostic assessment.
By participating in the Early Literacy Assessment Tool Project, local education agencies will be supplied with the online assessment of DIBELS Next, an approved interim measure, and the Burst diagnostic reading assessments, an approved diagnostic measure. First-time participating LEAs will receive assessment kits, each school will receive one kit per grade level (renewal applicants will not receive additional kits). All LEAs will receive licenses to use the assessment.
The tool will store and analyze the results and recommend school and home activities based on those results. Districts will be responsible for providing their own hardware.
Application Open for the 2015-16 School Year
CDE is accepting applications from both new and renewal applicants for the Early Literacy Assessment Tool Project. This program is designed to assist teachers in meeting the assessment requirements of the Read Act. The tool will allow teachers to obtain real time assessment of the reading skill levels of students enrolled in kindergarten, first, second, and/or third grades and, based on the assessment results, generate intervention plans and materials. This year the application will be completed in an online format and only district assurances and release of information forms will be mailed in as part of the application.
Resources for the Application:
- Application Training Webinar from 1/26/15
- 2015-16 ELAT Application
- Renewal Applications (district already in the project) are due by 4 pm on Thursday, March 5, 2015
- New Applications are due by 4 pm on Wednesdy, April 15, 2015
3/9/2015: March Newsletter
- Project Results: BOY to MOY results for the ELAT Project were recently reported , take a moment and review the executive summary of the data.
- Demographic: Make sure you have entered the required demographics for students
- LEXILES: March 9, 2015 Lexile levels will appear on the classroom level report feature
1/30/15: February Newsletter
- Word reading and decoding released on the mCLASS Platform. Read about the release and watch the webinar explaining the updates and important syncing information.
- ELAT Project Satisfaction: Help us know how we are doing in meeting your needs through the project.
- Summer Professional Development Opportunities: Several different sessions will be offered this June in regional training sessions. Read about the sessions and help us plan where and when to offer the sessions by filling out an on-line form.
CDE Principal Consultant
Associate Director, Account Management
ELAT Email List
If you would like to be added to the email list for ELAT updates please email Donna Bright, email@example.com.