CDE will be closed on Thursday, Nov. 24 and Friday, Nov. 25 for the Thanksgiving holiday.
You are here
Adding an Additional Endorsement to a Valid License
Frequently Asked Questions
1. I'm a special education teacher. I want to add an endorsement based on completion of an approved program completed outside of Colorado. What endorsement(s) will I qualify for in Colorado?
Your "Added Endorsement" application and supporting documents will be evaluated to determine the endorsement(s) for which you qualify in Colorado. This evaluation will be based on your approved program and may require you to submit course descriptions to clarify the content of your special education program.
2. Does the academic credit have to be graduate-level coursework if I'm adding an endorsement based on credit or assessment?
No, academic credit may be given for both undergraduate and graduate coursework completed at an accepted, regionally accredited college or university.
3. Will I be able to use life experiences for credit if I'm adding an endorsement based on credit or assessment?
Yes, CDE is able to grant a maximum of six (6) semester hours for work experience/professional development activities, provided that it is documented, directly relates to the endorsement you are seeking and is consistent with the state's content preparation requirements for that endorsement area. You must provide an explanation of work experience/professional development activities and how it directly enhanced your knowledge of the endorsement content area in order to be considered for credit.
4. How can I verify my work experience?
You can document your work experience by submitting a letter written by the administrator who supervised the work experience. This letter must include the total amount of contact hours spent in the endorsement area being sought and must be on school letterhead. CDE is only able to grant a maximum of 6 semester hours of credit for work experience.
5. Does CDE require teaching experience for an added endorsement?
Teaching experience is required only for those seeking an endorsement for:
- Reading Teacher: two (2) years teaching experience
- Reading Specialist: three (3) years teaching experience
- Instructional Technology Specialist: three (3) years teaching experience
6. Do I have to take the content exam if I am applying for an added endorsement based on the completion of an approved program?
Please refer to our Endorsement Requirement page for more information.
7. Do I only need to complete the Content Evaluation Worksheet to receive an added endorsement based on credit or assessment?
No, you will also need to include relevant transcripts, official score reports and verification of work experience if required.
8. Can I submit my Content Evaluation Worksheet for a pre-assessment of classes accepted for the endorsement being sought?
No, CDE does not do a pre-assessment of classes. You will need to submit this worksheet with an "Added Endorsement" application for evaluation.
Note: Incomplete applications that are submitted to CDE will cause a delay in evaluation. If the required documentation is not received by CDE within 90 days of application submission, the application will automatically be expired by the system and the applicant will need to submit a new application, including the evaluation fee.
9. Can I add an endorsement to a license while it is inactivated?
No, an endorsement may only be added to an active license. To add an endorsement to an inactivated license, you will need to reactivate the license by submitting the "Reactivate an Already Inactive Professional License" application, including the associated fee. Once the license has been reactivated, you may submit an added endorsement application for each endorsement being sought.