The eLicensing system is back online. The launch of the new and improved system has been postponed to spring 2021. Learn more.
You are here
Special Service Provider Intern Authorization
Preparing to Apply
Am I in the Right Place?
This checklist is for applicants seeking an intern authorization. If you already hold or have held an intern authorization and have been unable to complete your program due to unforeseen circumstances or hardship, this authorization may be renewed one time for an additional year.
- You will need electronic copies of all documentation.
( Get Help with Document Scanning )
- Allow ample time to request any third party transcripts or other documentation.
1 year from date of issue
- Submit fingerprints to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
- If you already hold a valid, CDE-issued educational credential and have consistently maintained an active credential (authorization or license) since you submitted your fingerprints, you can skip this step. We reserve the right to evaluate your application for adherence to the fingerprint requirements and will notify you by email should any follow-up be needed.
- If you have submitted fingerprints for CDE credentialing in the past, but allowed all credentials to lapse, you must submit a new set of fingerprints.
- Confirm you have a valid form of government-issued identification.
( View List of Valid IDs )
- List the names and addresses of the colleges/universities you've attended.
- Complete sections A and B of the Intern Verification Form.
- Forward the packet to the school district or BOCES providing the internship.
- The school district must return the completed and signed form to you so you can include it with your online application.
- Within the application you must include employment history for at least the past 5 years.
- Include employer/business name, dates of employment, reason for leaving, work addresses, supervisor names, and contact information.
- Include teaching experience from more than 5 years ago, if you have it.
- If applicable, obtain supporting documentation on the following:
- Past criminal history
- Disciplinary actions
- Any issues related to licensure or employment
Once you have gathered all required documentation and have reviewed the rules governing the licensure process, you are ready to complete and submit a SPECIAL SERVICES INTERN application.
- An application is deemed complete when CDE has received all required information, documentation and fees.
- By submitting an application, you are verifying that the application is complete and that all questions within have been answered truthfully.
- CDE will contact you via email or automated text within 45 days of receipt of your application should additional information be required to complete and evaluate your application. You will have 60 days from the date of notification to submit the information, request consideration or withdraw your application.
- CDE will not evaluate your application prior to receipt of your background checks.
- State statute prohibits the refunding of any application evaluation fee.
- Once you have submitted an application, check your status online regularly for notifications and updates or upon issuance, to print a copy of your certificate.
For questions, email CDELicensing@cde.state.co.us or call 303-866-6628.