Welcome to Educator Preparation, Licensing and Enforcement
The Office of Educator Preparation, Licensing and Enforcement is a resource for questions and information about educator preparation, alternative licensure programs, educator licensing and educator backgrounds, fingerprints and enforcement. We look forward to serving you and we thank you for being an educator in Colorado!
Apply for Licenses and Authorizations
Learn How to Apply
Already Submitted an Application?
Educator Preparation and Induction
Information about educator preparation pathways
- Learn more about becoming an educator in Colorado
- Search for an accredited educator preparation program
Information about traditional licensure programs at Institutes of Higher Learning (IHEs)
Information about alternative licensure programs
- Learn more about becoming a Designated Agency in Colorado or adding an endorsement
- Learn more about obtaining an alternative principal authorization
Information about Induction
Other Frequently Visited Pages
State fee waived for veteran teacher fingerprint resubmission
The small group of veteran teachers asked to resubmit their fingerprints for background checks will no longer have to pay any state fees, thanks to an agreement worked out between Colorado Education Commissioner Katy Anthes and the Colorado Bureau of Investigation. CDE had already waived its fee, but CBI recently agreed to waive its additional $39.50 fee for the resubmission process.
A review of the Colorado Department of Education's educator licensure database 18 months ago found that approximately 3,000 educator licensees' records did not include the required background check results originally received from both the FBI and CBI. These educators must resubmit their fingerprints to CBI so that their background check results can be transmitted to CDE. The $40 fee typically charged for this type of submission had already been waived by CDE.
Teachers who have already paid the fees and resubmitted their fingerprints will be reimbursed through a process that is still being worked out.Learn more about the background, fee waiver agreements and next steps on the teacher fingerprint resubmission process.
Look here for the latest information/news about educator preparation and licensure.
- Helping educators teach English Language Learners
During its February meeting, the State Board of Education directed CDE to create new flexible professional development pathways for new and current teachers to better serve students with English language education needs. Learn more about the proposed increase in professional development for all teachers.
- New Rules of Regulation: Effective March 30, 2016, newly aligned Rules of Regulation for Educator Preparation and Licensing have been adopted, affecting certain licensing endorsements in Colorado. Please view our Endorsement fact sheet (PDF) for a brief summary of the major changes and schedule for implementation.
- Special Education Generalist: As a result of the new rules of regulation, effective March 30, 2016, the rules for Ages 5-21 Special Education Generalist endorsement have been updated to include a requirement for both program and content assessment. To ensure the orderly transition to the new regulations, currently licensed educators may add the endorsement through a test-only (either PLACE or Praxis) option until March 30, 2017. Educators exercising this option must pass a Colorado-approved content assessment before February 28, 2017. *** Please note the February 28, 2017 date is an extension from previous communications. View the September 2016 Special Education Generalist Rules Revision Memo for further details.