You are here

Additional Services

Effective Date of a License

The effective date of the license is the date on which an application is complete and CDE is ready to act on the application. Therefore, if an applicant submits an incomplete application, or if CDE has not received the applicant's background checks, the application will not be evaluated and a corresponding license or authorization will not be effective until that information has been provided and approved. CDE does not backdate certificates for any reason other than our own error. This includes the submission of official transcripts showing that a degree has been conferred.

"Freezing" or Placing a Professional License on Hold (Inactive Status)

Only professional-level licenses may be placed on inactive status. Authorizations and initial licenses cannot be placed on inactive status.

Colorado state statute allows for any person who holds a valid professional license may choose to convert the professional license to inactive status. To do so, simply log in to your eLicensing account and complete and submit an "Inactivate an Already Active Professional License" application. You may make this request only once during a 12-month period. There is no fee associated with an inactivation request.

While on inactive status, though the expiration date of a professional license shall be suspended, the online credential verification will show an expiration date which will be the date we received your inactivation request. When you submit an application to return the professional license to active status, it shall be issued for the period remaining on the license as of the date of inactivation. Please note that state statute stipulates that while your professional license is on inactive status, you shall be deemed to not hold that professional license.

The Educator Licensure Office only may inactivate a license that has been issued. We cannot inactivate your license at the time of initial application or at the time of renewal due to system constraints. You must wait until the application for the license has been approved and the certificate emailed to you before submitting your request. Requests for inactivation that are received prior to the original license being issued cannot be processed.

Please note: If the license is inactivated for more than one (1) year and if you do not hold another valid, CDE-issued educator credential, you must submit a set of fingerprints to CBI for a current background check in order to reactivate the license.

Click to Apply

Reactivating a Previously Inactivated Professional License

Important Note: This is only for those who have previously requested to place their license in inactive status. It is not for licenses that have simply expired. Please check your eLicensing account to ensure the status of your license reads "inactive." If it does not, please visit the application checklist and select "renew a professional license" under the appropriate category.

A person may request to return a professional license to active status at any time by completing the "Reactivate an Already Inactive Professional License" application via their eLicensing account. Reactivation dates are based on when the complete reactivation application is received by CDE and the days remaining calculated during the inactivation process. There is a non-refundable $25 fee associated with the reactivation application.

Please note: if your license has been inactivated for more than one (1) year and if you do not hold another valid, CDE-issued educator credential, you will need to submit a set of fingerprints to CBI for a current background check to reactivate the license.

Click to Apply

Reprint Requests/Corrections

Note: We cannot print copies of expired credentials.

A duplicate or reprint of an active license or authorization  may be obtained by logging in to your eLicensing account and submitting a "Reprint/Request Name Change" application. Only one (1) license or authorization can be requested per application. Be sure to verify that the the e-mail address associated with your account is correct, as that is where the copy will be sent.

If your license or authorization has expired and you need written verification of prior status or licensure history, please see the Verification of an Active or Expired License section. We cannot print copies of expired credentials.

Click to Apply

Name Change Request

To change the name on your license, log in to your eLicensing account and complete the "Reprint Request/Name Change" application, including the following documentation:

  • An copy of your Colorado or U.S. government-issued photo id that reflects your new name      AND
  • Any official documentation --  marriage license, divorce decree or other officially issued court document -- supporting the legal name change
  • Out-of-state driver licenses must be accompanied by a U.S. state-issued birth certificate.

** Applications submitted without the requisite information will be determined to not meet requirements and be closed. **

Click to Apply

Verification of an Active or Expired License / Letter of Good Standing (educator credentials only)

Note: If you need a copy of a certificate, please see the reprint request section above.

Upon request, the Educator Licensure Office will provide a statement of verification / letter of good standing indicating the validity date(s) and the endorsement area(s) of the educator license(s) or authorization(s) held. Each verification is subject to the information contained in our current database; older certifications and/or archived records may not be available. (For a copy of your test score report, please contact the exam administrator.) Note: This form is not for general requests or licensure copies.

To obtain such a statement, complete this simple request form:

  • Include your complete mailing address (with city, state and zip code) so that we may verify and/or update your account.
  • Attach any state-specific forms (if applicable) 
  • Do not include copies of your CDE-issued credentials.

** Please allow two to three weeks for completion.**


Educator Licensure Records prior to 2002

For information pertaining to an educator license issued prior to October 18, 2002, you will need to contact the Colorado State Archives Office:

Colorado State Archives
1313 Sherman St. Room 1B-20
Denver, CO 80203
303-866-2358 or 303-866-2390

Fees may apply: