You are here
Teacher Apprenticeship Program
TEACHER DEGREE APPRENTICESHIP PROGRAM
In 2023, SB23-087 was signed into law with bipartisan legislation to get more teachers into classrooms by creating a teacher apprenticeship program.
As a pathway to teacher licensure, the bill creates a teacher degree apprenticeship program, which builds on elements of current teacher licensure programs, including a bachelor's degree requirement, training programs approved by the state department of education (CDE), and structured on-the-job training. The apprenticeship program is run collaboratively with the United States Department of Labor apprenticeship office and utilizes mentor teachers and apprenticeship program sponsors.
The bill allows CDE to issue a teacher apprenticeship authorization to a person (i.e. an apprentice) who is employed by a school district, board of cooperative services, charter school, or institute charter school who is actively registered in an apprenticeship program, and who is actively enrolled in an affiliated bachelor's degree program from an accredited institution. The authorization is valid for 4 years while the apprentice completes the bachelor's degree requirement of the program. CDE may renew the authorization for 2 years. An authorization is invalid if the apprentice withdraws from any part of the apprenticeship program or fails to make satisfactory progress.
Timeline for Implementation
August - January 2024
- August - October 2023: Partner groups established for input on the rules
- September/October 2023: Rules draft developed (i.e. the standards for teacher degree apprenticeship program)
January 2024 - onward
- January 2024: Rules notification at the January State Board of Education meeting and open for public feedback
- March 2024: Scheduled rule hearing at March State Board of Education meeting
- April 2024: Anticipated approval rules are published
- Spring 2024: Materials and resources released for new programs to apply to be teacher apprenticeship programs
- Spring/Summer 2024: Applications are accepted for new program proposals
- Spring/Summer 2024: Programs are approved for teacher degree apprenticeship programs (to begin fall 2024 and onward)
- Spring/Summer 2024: Teacher apprenticeship credential applications open