You are here
Colorado Asthma Resources
Please see our Health Conditions & Care Plans Page for these resources:
- Rules & Guidelines
- Colorado Competency Framework
- Colorado Asthma Care Plan and Medication Order for Schools and Childcare
- Asthma Intake Forms
- Self-Carry Contract
- Colorado Childhood Asthma Guidelines (2008-PDF)
Medications and Devices
- Asthma Medications
- Inhaler Technique Assessment Tool (2011 PDF)
- Priming and Care Guide for Inhalers (PDF)
- AeroChamber (large) (PDF)
- AeroChamber (small) (PDF)
Asthma Education Materials
- English (PDF Google Files)
- Spanish (PDF Google Files)
- Asthma Flu Sample Letter English/Spanish (Word)
Asthma Training for SCHOOL NURSES - Applying Best Practice Asthma Care in Schools: A Standardized Statewide Approach
(Free online 4 hour training for school nurses)
Objectives of the course:
- Describe the role and responsibilities of the school nurse to provide comprehensive care of students with asthma
- Apply Colorado best practice approaches to providing quality asthma care in school settings
- Impact student asthma care and management within the school setting
Enroll in School Nurse Asthma Course HERE
Asthma Training for Unlicensed Assistive Personnel (UAP) - Applying Best Practice Asthma Care in Schools: A Standardized Statewide Approach
(Free online 2 hour training for UAPs)
Objectives of the course:
- Encourage parents/guardians to complete the Asthma Intake Form and communicate its completion to the school nurse
- Implement the green (required pretreatment), yellow and red zones of the Colorado Asthma Care Plan.
- Administer and coach accurate technique for administration of a quick relief medication using a MDI plus spacer
This free, 2 hour training program is aligned with the Moodle course for School Nurses Applying Best Practice Asthma Care in Schools: A Standardized Statewide Approach.
Each individual completing the course will have access to a certificate.
Enroll in UAP Asthma Course HERE
Building Bridges for Asthma Care - School Nurse Training Series
The Building Bridges for Asthma Care program was designed as a school nurse-oriented program by an interdisciplinary team of allergy and pulmonary specialists with input from stakeholders including a national steering committee and school nurses. The manual was revised and licensed in 2019. This training series was developed in 2021. This is considered a next level, comprehensive, systematic approach to a school-based asthma care program. Prior to this course, we recommend you take our introductory 4-hour training: Asthma Training for School Nurses - Applying Best Practice Asthma Care in Schools: A Standardized Statewide Approach (above).
This free 1.5 hour training can be used to help school nurses build an asthma program for their schools. A course completion certificate for 1.5 hours is available after completing the lessons.
Enroll in the Building Bridges for Asthma Care - School Nurse Training Series HERE
Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America
Asthma Management Education Course (exiting CDE)
This online course is presented by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA) for health care professionals who teach and care for patients with asthma. The content follows the National Asthma Education and Prevention Program's (NAEPP) "2007 Expert Panel Report 3: Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Asthma." The AME-O course is based on the NAEPP’s “Four Components of Asthma Management.”
Nurses can earn 8.75 contact hours from the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation (ANCC).
Student and Family Education
- Quest for the CODE (PDF)
- Asthma Basics (PDF)
- Clear Your Home of Asthma Triggers (EPA) (PDF)
- Overview of Asthma Student Education Programs
- Kids Asthma Fast Facts (PDF)