You are here
READ Interim Assessments
READ Approved Interim Assessments
The department engaged practitioners from the field with literacy expertise to assist with the review through an open application process conducted in September 2013. Fourteen English and 8 Spanish reading assessments were reviewed; 7 English and 3 Spanish reading assessments were recommended and approved. The final approved list as voted on by the State Board of Education on December 11, 2013 can be found in the table below. Cut scores for determining a significant reading deficiency were arrived at through work with each test publisher. Those cut scores as well as other resources can be found in the table below:
2021/2022 READ Act cut scores and resources
Districts had until July 1, 2016 (as allowed in statute, C.R.S. 22-7-1209) to transition to the approved interim assessments. Both DIBELS 6th edition and DRA2 were only able to be used through July 1, 2016.
READ Act and Students with Disabilities
All K-3 students in Colorado public schools are to be screened as a part of the READ Act. This includes students with disabilities. For more information about the READ Act and students with disabilities, please see the Differentiated Pathways and Students with Disabilities webpage.
Interim Assessment Implementation Resources
- How to select an effective screening tool? Dr. Nadine Gaab explaining important factors to consider when selecting the right screener to identify children at risk in your school or district.
- Conducting Universal Screening A literacy coach at an elementary school discusses the purpose, scheduling, and administration of universal screening (interim assessment use). She explains how the use of screening data has changed instruction at this school.
Archived Assessment Review Resources:
- 2018 Interim Assessment Review Rubric (PDF)
- Summaries of the review committee rubric ratings (2012)
- DRA: In August 2014, CDE received a communication from Pearson, the publisher of the Developmental Reading Assessment (DRA2) regarding its decision to not resubmit DRA2 for consideration for the State Board of Education approved the list of recommended interim assessments.