You are here
New! 2020-2021 Substitute Authorization
Preparing to Apply
Am I in the Right Place?
This checklist is for applicants are seeking the new 2020-2021 substitute teacher authorization to serve in any accepting public school district, charter school, BOCES or approved facility school during the 2020-2021 academic year only. As this authorization is valid only for the 2020-2021 academic year, it will be dated accordingly upon issuance.
Please note: Not all districts may recognize this credential. If you have a completed form from a requesting district, BOCES, charter or approved facility school and are seeking a 1-year authorization -- or if you qualify for a 3- or 5-year substitute authorization -- please review the other checklists and make the appropriate selection.
To qualify for a 2020-2021 substitute authorization you must:
- Hold a high school diploma or its equivalent
Important Note: If you do not meet the requirements as specified above or if you are seeking a 1-year, 3-year or 5-year authorization, please review the other checklists and make the appropriate selection. Once an application is submitted, we cannot change the type of credential issued (for example, we cannot issue a 3-year substitute authorization in response to an application for a 5-year substitute application). Please be certain when completing the application that you meet the requirements for the type requested.
- You will need an electronic copy of your valid government-issued photo ID (see list below).
( Get Help with Document Scanning )
June 30, 2021
- Submit fingerprints to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
- If you already hold a valid, CDE-issued educational credential and have consistently maintained an active credential (authorization or license) since you submitted your fingerprints, you can skip this step. We reserve the right to evaluate your application for adherence to the fingerprint requirements and will notify you by email should any follow-up be needed.
- If you have submitted fingerprints for CDE credentialing in the past, but allowed all credentials to lapse and have held no active credential for a period exceeding one (1) year, you must submit a new set of fingerprints.
- Confirm you have a valid form of government-issued identification.
( View List of Valid IDs )
- High school diploma or its equivalent.
- Within the application you must include employment history for at least the past five (5) years.
- Include employer/business name, dates of employment, reason for leaving, work addresses, supervisor names, and contact information.
- If you are a college/university student or have not been working, simply include that information in this section of the application.
- If applicable, obtain supporting documentation on the following:
- Past criminal history
- Disciplinary actions
- Any issues related to licensure or employment
Register and Apply
Once you have gathered all of the information listed above, you are ready to begin the online application process! Just register in the eLicensing system or, if you are already registered, log in. Select the Substitute Authorization application to get started.