You are here
New! 2020-2021 Substitute Authorization
Preparing to Apply
Am I in the Right Place?
This checklist is for applicants are seeking the new 2020-2021 substitute teacher authorization to serve in any accepting public school district, charter school, BOCES or approved facility school during the 2020-2021 academic year only. As this authorization is valid only for the 2020-2021 academic year, it will be dated accordingly upon issuance.
Qualifications: A high school diploma or its equivalent
Important Note: Once an application is submitted, we cannot change the type of credential issued. Please be certain when completing the application that you meet the requirements for the type requested.
Not in the right place? Review the other checklists.
- You will need electronic copies of all requested documentation.
- Allow ample time to request any third-party transcripts or other documentation.
June 30, 2021
- Submit fingerprints to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
- Ensure you have a current background check on file. You have 30 days from the time CDE receives your background check to apply for a license. If you have submitted fingerprints for CDE credentialing in the past, but allowed all credentials to lapse or did not submit within the 30-day window, you must submit a new set of fingerprints to CBI for licensure purposes.
- Confirm you have a valid form of government-issued identification.
- High school diploma or its equivalent.
You will need to include all prior work experience:Include employer/business name, dates of employment, reason for leaving, work addresses, supervisor names and contact information.
You are required to self-disclose and include documentation for the following:
- Past criminal history
- Disciplinary actions
- Any issues related to licensure or employment
Once you have gathered all required documentation and have reviewed the rules governing the licensure process, you are ready to complete and submit a SUBSTITUTE application.
- An application is deemed complete when CDE has received all required information, documentation and fees.
- By submitting an application, you are verifying that the application is complete and that all questions within have been answered truthfully.
- CDE will contact you via email or automated text within 45 days of receipt of your application should additional information be required to complete and evaluate your application. You will have 60 days from the date of notification to submit the information or request consideration, or your application will be deemed withdrawn and you will need to reapply.
- If we do not receive your background checks within 60 days of your application, your application will be deemed withdrawn and you will need to reapply.
- State statute prohibits the refunding of any application evaluation fee.
- Once you have submitted an application, check your status online regularly for notifications,updates and/or to print a copy of your certificate.
For questions, submit a Licensing Support Request form or call 720-739-3304 (7:30 am - 12:30 pm, Monday through Friday).