The eLicensing system is back online. The launch of the new and improved system has been postponed to spring 2021. Learn more.
You are here
Principal - Interim Authorization or Initial License Renewal
Preparing to Apply
Am I in the Right Place?
This checklist only is for applicants who hold an interim authorization or an initial principal (not administrator) license and have not yet completed a Colorado State Board of Education-approved induction program. You may apply to renew your interim authorization or initial license any time within 6 months of expiration, but no sooner.
Not in the right place? Review the other checklists.
- You will need electronic copies of all requested documentation.
- Allow ample time to request any third-party transcripts or other documentation.
1 or 3 years from date of issue
- Ensure you have a current background check on file.If you have submitted fingerprints for CDE credentialing in the past, but allowed all credentials to lapse, you must submit a new set of fingerprints for licensure purposes.
- Confirm you have a valid form of government-issued identification.
You will need to include all prior work experience:
- Include employer/business name, dates of employment, reason for leaving, work addresses, supervisor names and contact information.
You are required to self-disclose and include documentation for the following:
- Past criminal history
- Disciplinary actions
- Any issues related to licensure or employment
Once you have gathered all required documentation and have reviewed the rules governing the licensure process, you are ready to complete and submit a PRINCIPAL application.
- An application is deemed complete when CDE has received all required information, documentation and fees.
- By submitting an application, you are verifying that the application is complete, that all requested documentation has been provided and that all questions within have been answered truthfully.
- CDE will contact you within 45 days of receipt of your application should additional information be required to complete and evaluate your application. You then will have 60 days in order to submit the information, request consideration or withdraw your application, or the application will expire and you will need to reapply.
- If we do not receive your background checks within 60 days of your application, your application will expire and you will need to reapply.
- State statute prohibits the refunding of any application evaluation fee.
- Once you have submitted an application, check your status online regularly for notifications, updates and/or to print a copy of your certificate.
For questions, email CDELicensing@cde.state.co.us or call 303-866-6628.