Preparing to Apply
Am I in the Right Place?
This checklist is for applicants who hold an interim or initial administrator license and have not yet completed a Colorado State Board of Education-approved administrator induction program. It is not for those seeking to renew a principal license. You may apply to renew your interim or initial administrator license any time within six months of expiration, but no sooner. If you already hold a Colorado professional license, please review the other checklists and make the appropriate selection.
Please note: Per Colorado statute 22-60.5-306(II), initial administrator licenses may only be renewed once, for a period of three years. After the first renewal, the applicant may only continue to renew the initial license for additional three-year periods if the licensee is unable to complete an induction program for reasons other than incompetence. The licensee must show good cause for their inability to complete an induction program. If the applicant has good cause for the inability to complete an induction program, please upload a statement to the application providing an explanation of why you were unable to complete an induction program during this six-year period.
Per Colorado statute 22-60.5-111(7), an interim authorization is valid for one year and the Department of Education may renew the authorization for one additional year. Applicants will receive a memo via email once the authorization is issued that outlines what steps must be taken to qualify for the initial administrator license.
- You will need electronic copies of all documentation.
( Get Help with Document Scanning )
- Allow ample time to request any third party transcripts or other documentation.
3 years from date of issue
- In most cases, additional fingerprinting is not required for license renewal applications.
- If you already hold a valid, CDE-issued educational credential and have consistently maintained an active credential (authorization or license) since you submitted your fingerprints, you can skip this step. We reserve the right to evaluate your application for adherence to the fingerprint requirements and will notify you by email should any follow-up be needed.
- If you have submitted fingerprints for CDE credentialing in the past, but allowed all credentials to lapse and have held no active credential for a period exceeding 1 year, you must submit a new set of fingerprints.
- Confirm you have a valid form of government-issued identification.
( View List of Valid IDs )
- Within the application you must include employment history for at least the past 5 years. .
- Include employer/business name, dates of employment, reason for leaving, work addresses, supervisor names, and contact information.
- Include teaching experience from more than 5 years ago, if you have it.
- If applicable, obtain supporting documentation on the following:
- Past criminal history
- Disciplinary actions
- Any issues related to licensure or employment
Register and Apply
Once you have gathered all of the information listed above, you are ready to begin the online application process! Just register for the eLicensing system or, if you are already registered, log in.
Then, select the application titled "Administrator" to get started.
For questions, email CDELicensing@cde.state.co.us or call 303-866-6628.