Preparing to Apply
Am I in the Right Place?
This checklist is for applicants who completed a Colorado-approved preparation program and who are applying for their first teacher license only.
If you completed a program in outside Colorado, please go to the Out-of-State/Out-of-Country checklist. If you have ever held a teaching license in Colorado, please review the other checklists and make the appropriate selection.
- You will need electronic copies of all requested documentation.
( Get Help with Document Scanning )
- Allow ample time to request any third party transcripts or other documentation.
3 years from date of issue
- Submit fingerprints to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
- If you already hold a valid, CDE-issued educational credential and have consistently maintained an active credential (authorization or license) since you submitted your fingerprints, you can skip this step. We reserve the right to evaluate your application for adherence to the fingerprint requirements and will notify you by email should any follow-up be needed.
- If you have submitted fingerprints for CDE credentialing in the past, but allowed all credentials to lapse and have held no active credential for a period exceeding 1 year, you must submit a new set of fingerprints to CBI.
- Confirm you have a valid form of government-issued identification.
( View List of Valid IDs )
- Within the application, you will be asked to list the names and addresses of the colleges/universities you've attended.
- State statute requires that you submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended, including transcripts for any transfer credits that led to your earned degree. Official transcripts must show a minimum of a conferred bachelor's degree. ( View Transcript Requirements ) Note: Unofficial transcripts are not accepted. Please do not include them in your application.
- Transcripts from institutions outside the US must be in English or include an authentic English translation and have been evaluated by a NACES member organization for course-by-course equivalency.
- Complete the Approved Program Verification Form. ( Download the Verification Form (PDF) )
- Obtain the results for any CDE-accepted PLACE or Praxis exams you have passed.
( View accepted PLACE content exams )
( View accepted Praxis content exams )
- Within the application you must include employment history for at least the past 5 years and all teaching experience, even if not within the 5-year window.
- Include employer/business name, dates of employment, reason for leaving, work addresses, supervisor names and contact information.
- If applicable, obtain supporting documentation on the following:
- Past criminal history
- Disciplinary actions
- Any issues related to licensure or employment
Register and Apply
Have all the information mentioned above? Begin the online application registering an account in the eLicensing system or, if you are already registered, log in. Select the TEACHER application.
For questions, email CDELicensing@cde.state.co.us or call 303-866-6628.