Site Index | CDE Offices | Staff Directory


* * CDE will be closed on Thursday, Nov. 23 and Friday, Nov. 24 for the Thanksgiving holiday. * *

Alternative Pathway - Alternative Teacher License

Preparing to Apply

Am I in the Right Place?

This checklist is for applicants who are seeking an alternative teaching license. If you have already completed a Colorado State Board of Education-approved teacher preparation program or hold an initial or professional teaching license, please review the other checklists and make the appropriate selection.

Please review the "Alternative Teacher Candidates: What you Need to Know" page to ensure complete understanding of the alternative licensure pathway and processes.

View the Alternative Teacher Checklist.

Requirements for the Alternative Teacher License

  1. Background Check - Submit fingerprints to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation

  2.  Meet professional competence in a state-approved endorsement area for alternative licensure

3. Obtain employment that matches the endorsement area in #2 above

4. Select or be selected by an approved Colorado designated agency for alternative preparation (Be sure to select "alternative" in the drop-down menu under "type" to see the full list of approved Colorado designated agencies.)

Plan Ahead

  • You will need electronic copies of all documentation.
    ( Get Help with Document Scanning )
  • Allow ample time to request any third-party transcripts or other documentation.

Application Fee:


Alternative Teacher License Expires:

1, 2 or 3 years from date of issue, depending on qualifications, endorsement area and program



  • Submit fingerprints to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
    • If you already hold a valid, CDE-issued educational credential and have consistently maintained an active credential (authorization or license) since you submitted your fingerprints, you can skip this step. We reserve the right to evaluate your application for adherence to the fingerprint requirements and will notify you by email should any follow-up be needed.
    • If you have submitted fingerprints for CDE credentialing in the past, but allowed all credentials to lapse and have held no active credential for a period exceeding one (1) year, you must submit a new set of fingerprints.

View Fingerprinting Instructions )


  • List the names and addresses of the colleges/universities you've attended.
  • State statute requires that you submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.  This would include any transfer credits that reflected on your degree-conferred transcript.  If required for the endorsement you are seeking, your official transcripts must show a minimum of a conferred bachelor's degree. ( View Transcript Requirements )
  • Transcripts from institutions outside the US must be in English or include an authentic English translation, and have been evaluated by an NACES member organization for course-by-course equivalence. CDE accepts equivalency reports by NACES members only.
  • Complete the worksheet for the desired endorsement area (alternative endorsement areas and worksheets).
  • Demonstrate professional and content competency by obtaining one of the following:
    • Official college transcripts showing you've completed 24 credit hours of relevant college-level coursework in your endorsement area (in light of that identified on the worksheet), or
    • A copy of an official score report for the Colorado-approved content exam for your desired endorsement area.


  • Within the application you must include employment history for at least the past five (5) years.
    • Include employer/business name, dates of employment, reason for leaving, work addresses, supervisor names and contact information.
    • Include teaching experience from more than five (5) years ago, if you have it.
  • Complete the applicant/candidate section of the Statement of Assurance of Employment form. (Always use the latest version of the form.)
    • Forward the form to the school district or BOCES that employs you.
    • Provide the form to your employer and request that the completed and signed version be returned to you along with a copy of your signed employment contract, so you can include these items with your online application.

(Download the Statement of Assurance Form - Teacher )


  • If applicable, obtain supporting documentation on the following:
    • Past criminal history
    • Disciplinary actions
    • Any issues related to licensure or employment

    View Self-Disclosure Requirements )

Register and Apply

Once you have gathered all of the information listed above, you are ready to begin the online application process! Just register for the eLicensing system or, if you are already registered, log in. Then select the "Teacher" application to get started.

Register   or, if already registered,    Log In


For questions, email or call 303-866-6628.

Quick Links


Contact Us

Professional Services & Educator Licensure
6000 E Evans Ave
Building #2, Suite 100
Denver, CO 80222
Contact Licensing

Colorado Dept. of Education
201 East Colfax Ave.
Denver, CO 80203
Phone: 303-866-6600
Fax: 303-830-0793
Contact CDE

WCC Access