You are here

Educational Services for Students Awaiting Trial as an Adult

With the passage of SB10-054 and pursuant to 22-32-141 C.R.S., if a juvenile is held in a jail or other facility for the detention of adult offenders pending criminal proceedings as an adult, the school district in which the jail or facility is located shall provide educational services for the juvenile upon request of the official in charge of the jail or facility.
On or before the 15th of the month the official in charge of the jail or facility in which a juvenile is held, or designee, shall report to the Department of Education (CDE) the actual number of juveniles who received educational services at the jail or facility during the prior calendar month.  A request to establish a syncplicity account for the submission process will need to be sent to
It is necessary to use the State Assigned Student Identifier (SASID) for student data submission to ensure compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974. The SASID may be obtained from the school district providing educational services or through the Record Integration Tracking System (RITS). To access RITS a user login code and password are required. Please use the link below to request a unique, individual user login code and password for the jail/facility staff member who will be submitting the Educational Services Worksheet. The staff member will have view only access to RITS.


Under federal and state law, youth with disabilities detained in county jails are entitled to special education and related services to meet their needs and prepare them for further education, employment, and independent living. 34 C.F.R. § 300.1 School districts share the responsibility for providing educational services to detained youth with local juvenile and adult detention centers, including county jails. 34 C.F.R. § 300.2(b).
County jails are required to notify the designated AU contact person that a juvenile awaiting trial as an adult may need educational services. C.R.S. 22-32-141(2)(a).