You are here
Colorado Teacher of the Year Application Process
2024 Colorado Teacher of the Year Application Process
Applications are due by 11:59 p.m. on Friday, June 16, 2023.
Thank you to Denver7 for supporting the Colorado Teacher of the Year program.
Complete this brief form to request access to the application. Application contacts will receive an email with instructions for accessing the Colorado Teacher of the Year Application system.
After requesting access, you can begin your online application.
A paper version of the 2024 Colorado Teacher of the Year application is available for download. Please note it is intended only as a reference document for instructions and application planning purposes. There is information in this document not available in the online application so we recommend downloading the file and reviewing it before, during and after filling out the online application.
Applicants must submit their signature as well as signatures of approval from their school principal and district superintendent. The completed signature approval form must be uploaded and submitted to the online application.
The Colorado Teacher of the Year Program is our state's oldest and most prestigious honors program which recognizes the contributions of the classroom teacher. The candidate must be a dedicated, knowledgeable and skilled teacher in any state-approved or accredited school, kindergarten through grade twelve, who is planning to continue in an active teaching status.
The Colorado Teacher of the Year candidate must have the respect and admiration of their colleagues and:
- Is an expert in their field who guides students of all backgrounds and abilities to achieve excellence;
- Collaborates with colleagues, students, and families to create a school culture of respect and success;
- Deliberately connects the classroom and key stakeholders to foster a strong community at large;
- Demonstrates leadership and innovation in and outside of the classroom walls that embodies lifelong learning; and
- Expresses themselves in an engaging and articulate way.
Being named the Colorado Teacher of the Year is not only an award, but also an honor, and one that comes with an enormous responsibility: representing the entire teaching profession in Colorado. The Colorado Teacher of the Year acts as:
- A liaison between the teaching community, Colorado Department of Education, school districts, and communities;
- An education ambassador to businesses, parents, service organizations, and media;
- A resource on the state of the profession to be available for workshops and conferences around the state; and
- An education leader involved in teacher forums and education reform and activities.
The Colorado Teacher of the Year is also expected to attend national events such as the National Teacher of the Year Ceremony. In addition, the Teacher of the Year serves on the Commissioner’s Teacher Cabinet and attends other education meetings, conferences, and workshops around the state. Because the Teacher of the Year is invited to attend events and participate in speaking engagements during the year, they must be poised, articulate, and have the energy to make and withstand a busy schedule (approximately 10-15 days out of the classroom throughout the year of recognition). Colorado’s Teacher of the Year is also put forward as Colorado’s nominee for the Council of Chief State School Officers’ (CCSSO) National Teacher of the Year program.
2024 Application Submission Process
- Applications for the 2024 Colorado Teacher of the Year are due Friday, June 16, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
- Request access to the online application by filling out this brief Smartsheet form.
- Submit applications through the 2024 Colorado Teacher of the Year Online Application.
- Applicants must also upload the following within the online application:
- Résumé in PDF
- Letters of Support combined in a PDF single file
- Publicity Photo in JPG, PNG, or PDF format
- Signatures Page in PDF format
- Additional information and the application template for planning your responses can be found within the CTOY 2024 Application Planning Document (DOC).
- Incomplete applications, or application narrative responses that exceed the word limits, will not be included for review.
For questions or additional information, please contact: CompetitiveGrants@cde.state.co.us