Understanding the New PARCC Scores
The following items are designed to help districts and schools communicate with parents about the results for the CMAS English language arts and math tests (PARCC) taken by students last spring.
These materials can be shared with parents during parent information events, newsletters or parent teacher conferences. All materials may be tailored to meet your local needs.
- Understanding the New Score Reports (Prezi) - Give this presentation at parent information meetings to help parents understand why we transitioned to new tests, how to interpret the score reports and what to expect for state tests in spring 2016. A companion script for this Prezi is provided to help your presentation go smoothly.
- Parent's Guide to Understanding the New Score Reports
English | Spanish (PDF)
Score reports for Colorado's new English language arts and math tests will look different than the reports parents are used to getting. Use this two-page document to help teachers, parents and students understand the new PARCC score reports.
- How to Use the Test Results to Support Your Student
English | Spanish (PDF)
This one-page document provides parents with basic background information and simple ideas for using the test results to support their student's academic success
- Sample Score Reports - Provide these sample score reports to parents before they receive their own students' reports to help them know what to expect and how to understand the new reports.
- Key Messages (PDF) - Read through these key messages to help prepare your own materials and presentations for parents. This document will help Colorado educators communicate accurate and consistent information.
- Drop-in Articles - use these entire articles or just portions of them to communicate with educators and parents about the upcoming score reports.
What to Expect for State Tests This Year
Colorado Measures of Academic Success (CMAS): What to expect for the 2015-16 school year
This fact sheet provides basic information about the Colorado Academic Standards and aligned assessments in English language arts, math, science and social studies. Use this as a handout at back-to-school night or include a link to it in your school newsletter to help parents understand what to expect for state tests this year.
Use this for a quick at-a-glance reminder of what tests students will take and when the tests will be given for the 2015-16 school year.
Refer to this to help answer questions from both teachers and parents about state tests this year.
Hand these out to parents to help them understand what their children will be learning this year, or send a link to them in your electronic communications.
Additional Resources - Browse by Category
Communication resources are broken out by content area for ease of use and to promote consistent and timely communications with key audiences.