The Early Literacy Assessment Tool Project (ELAT)
The 2012 School Finance Act required CDE to select a contractor to supply an early literacy assessment tool that teachers may use to obtain real-time assessments of the reading skill levels of students in kindergarten through third grade. The intent was to support state purchase of software that provides individualized assessments with immediate results, stores and analyzes those results, and recommends activities based on those results.
Through a competitive bid process, the contract was awarded to Amplify for its DIBELS Next system and Burst diagnostic reading assessments in January, 2013. Pending legislative approval during the 2014 session, the department will offer the project for the 2014-15 school year. For the 14-15 school year DIBELS Deep was added as the diagnostic assessment.
By participating in the Early Literacy Assessment Tool Project, local education agencies will be supplied with the online assessment of DIBELS Next, an approved interim measure, and Dibels DEEP, an approved diagnostic reading assessment. First-time participating LEAs will receive assessment kits, each school will receive one kit per grade level (renewal applicants will not receive additional kits). All LEAs will receive licenses to use the assessments.
The tool will store and analyze the results and recommend school and home activities based on those results. Districts will be responsible for providing their own hardware.http://www.amplify.com/assessment/devices.
January 20, 2016 - ELAT Application Open for the 2016-2017 School Year:
CDE is accepting applications from both new and renewal applicants for the Early Literacy Assessment Tool Project for the 2016-2017 school year.
- Thursday, March 3, 2016, for renewing districts
- Friday, April 15, 2016, for new districts
Application Documents and Resources:
- 2016-2017 ELAT Application
- ELAT School Information Template (only for use by districts with more than 5 schools)
- An application training webinar was held on Wednesday, January, 27, 2016, at 3 pm. View the recorded webinar.
2/9/2016 - February 2016 Newsletter
- ELAT Application for the 2016-2017
- New Virtual Learning Opportunity: Instructional Leader - Data Decision Making at MOY
- DIBELS DEEP on-line training and the DIBELS Super Institute in Denver
- Progress Monitoring
1/13/2016 - January 2016 Newsletter
A focus on learning to continue improving best practices, offered through our virtual learning courses:
- New for Instructional Leaders: Progress Monitoring, DIBELS Deep, Taking Action with Data
- Reminder: Pathways of Progress and DIBELS Deep training - all offered in collaboration with Dynamic Measurement Group - amazing free training for all ELAT users
- Progress Monitoring Report Released!
- DIBELS Super Institute held in Denver - July 2016
12/8/2015 - December 2015 Newsletter
- New Virtual Learning Opportunities Posted: Pathways of Progress online learning course and Progress monitoring
- Product/Reporting Updates: Information and screenshots for updates in DIBELS Deep, Progress Monitoring Report and Pathways of Progress continued buildout
11/6/2015 - November 2015 Newsletter
- DIBELS Deep - Free Online training opportunities for all schools in the project thru the end of the year.
- Virtual Learning Opportunities - See a description of new content available to support teachers and instructional leaders in the use of data through the tool to inform instructional changes. All year we will be posting.
- Lexiles: Read the linking study about DIBELS Next composite score and the Lexile Framework
- Upcoming Resources and Learning Opportunities:
- New virtual classes including Pathways of Progress presented by Dr. Roland Good
- DIBELS Super Institute in Denver July 2016
- ELAT Teacher Summer Institutes
8/7/2015 - August 2015 Newsletter
- DIBELS Deep State-wide Training - Release of Comprehension, Fluency and Oral Language
- End of Year (14-15) Project Review
- Updated Goal Setting Tools
- ELAT Program Guide
CDE Principal Consultant
Associate Director, Account Management
ELAT Email List
If you would like to be added to the email list for ELAT updates please email Donna Bright, firstname.lastname@example.org.