Early Literacy Assessment Tool
The 2012 School Finance Act required the Colorado Department of Education to select a contractor to supply an early literacy assessment tool that teachers may use to obtain real-time assessments of the reading skill levels of students in kindergarten through third grade. The intent of the program was to support state purchase of software that would provide individualized assessments with immediate results, store and analyze those results, and recommend activities based on those results. Through a competitive bid process, the contract was awarded to Amplify for its DIBELS Next system and diagnostic reading assessments in January 2013 through June 30, 2018.
In the spring 2018 through a new competitive process the award was made to both Amplify and Istation for the approved interim assessments on both platforms. The new contract duration is for the next five years. Legislative funding was passed in the spring of 2018, therefore the department will offer the project for the 2018-2019 school year. This is a non-competitive project.
By participating in the Early Literacy Assessment Tool Project, applicants will select one of the two vendors and then receive access to the LEA selected online approved READ Act assessment:
- Amplify for DIBELS Next and IDEL, approved interim assessments, and DIBELS Deep PA/WRD diagnostic reading assessment, an approved diagnostic measure.
- Istation for ISIP Early Reading, Istation and ISIP Lectura Temprana, Istation, approved interim assessments for the READ Act.
All approved applicants will receive software licenses to use the assessment that they select. The tool will store and analyze the results and recommend school and home activities based on those results. Applicants will be responsible for providing their own hardware.
Hardware is not included. A list of devices that support the software is available for each vendor:
ELAT Application Information for the 2019-2020 School Year:
CDE is accepting applications for the ELAT Project from both new and renewal applicants for the 2019-2020 school year. If the number of applicants exceeds the number of available licenses, prioritization will occur pursuant to C.R.S. 22-2-14.
- First preference will be given to LEAs renewing their participation from the 2017-2018 school year; then new LEA applicants will be accepted.
- Should there need to be a selection process for new LEAs, it will be based on highest percentages of kindergarten and first-, second-, and third-grade students who are below grade level expectations in reading; and LEAs with the highest percentages of schools that are eligible to receive money under Title I of the federal “Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965”, 20 U.S.C. sec 6301 et seq.
2019-2020 Application Timeline
- Applications are due Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 11: 59 pm.
- An application training webinar was held Tuesday, January 8, 2019, at 2:00 pm. View the power point slides and webinar recording.
2019-2020 Application Resources
- 2019/2020 ELAT Application (paper copy)
- Click here to submit your application through Survey Monkey
Application closes on January 31, 2019 at 11:59 pm.
Applicants will be notified by February 12, 2019 of the receipt of their completed application.
For questions please contact Tammy Yetter at email@example.com or by phone at 720-955-8055.
Colorado Department of Education Project Manager
CDE Senior Literacy Consultant
Amplify Support Staff
Director, Educational Partnerships
Educational Partnership Manager
Educational Partnership Manager
ELAT Email List
If you would like to be added to the email list for ELAT updates please email Tammy Yetter at firstname.lastname@example.org.