The Early Literacy Assessment Tool Project (ELAT)
The 2012 School Finance Act required CDE to select a contractor to supply an early literacy assessment tool that teachers may use to obtain real-time assessments of the reading skill levels of students in kindergarten through third grade. The intent was to support state purchase of software that provides individualized assessments with immediate results, stores and analyzes those results, and recommends activities based on those results.
Through a competitive bid process, the contract was awarded to Amplify for its DIBELS Next system and Burst diagnostic reading assessments in January, 2013. Pending legislative approval during the 2014 session, the department will offer the project for the 2014-15 school year. For the 14-15 school year DIBELS Deep was added as the diagnostic assessment.
By participating in the Early Literacy Assessment Tool Project, local education agencies will be supplied with the online assessment of DIBELS Next, an approved interim measure, and Dibels DEEP, an approved diagnostic reading assessment. First-time participating LEAs will receive assessment kits, each school will receive one kit per grade level (renewal applicants will not receive additional kits). All LEAs will receive licenses to use the assessments.
The tool will store and analyze the results and recommend school and home activities based on those results. Districts will be responsible for providing their own hardware.
11/6/2015 - November 2015 Newsletter
- DIBELS Deep - Free Online training opportunities for all schools in the project thru the end of the year.
- Virtual Learning Opportunities - See a description of new content available to support teachers and instructional leaders in the use of data through the tool to inform instructional changes. All year we will be posting.
- Lexiles: Read the linking study about DIBELS Next composite score and the Lexile Framework
- Upcoming Resources and Learning Opportunities:
- New virtual classes including Pathways of Progress presented by Dr. Roland Good
- DIBELS Super Institute in Denver July 2016
- ELAT Teacher Summer Institutes
8/7/2015 - August 2015 Newsletter
- DIBELS Deep State-wide Training - Release of Comprehension, Fluency and Oral Language
- End of Year (14-15) Project Review
- Updated Goal Setting Tools
- ELAT Program Guide
CDE Principal Consultant
Associate Director, Account Management
ELAT Email List
If you would like to be added to the email list for ELAT updates please email Donna Bright, email@example.com.