The Early Literacy Assessment Tool Project (ELAT)
The 2012 School Finance Act required CDE to select a contractor to supply an early literacy assessment tool that teachers may use to obtain real-time assessments of the reading skill levels of students in kindergarten through third grade. The intent was to support state purchase of software that provides individualized assessments with immediate results, stores and analyzes those results, and recommends activities based on those results.
Through a competitive bid process, the contract was awarded to Amplify for its DIBELS Next system and Burst diagnostic reading assessments in January, 2013. Pending legislative approval during the 2014 session, the department will offer the project for the 2014-15 school year. For the 14-15 school year DIBELS Deep was added as the diagnostic assessment.
By participating in the Early Literacy Assessment Tool Project, local education agencies will be supplied with the online assessment of DIBELS Next, an approved interim measure, and the Burst diagnostic reading assessments, an approved diagnostic measure. First-time participating LEAs will receive assessment kits, each school will receive one kit per grade level (renewal applicants will not receive additional kits). All LEAs will receive licenses to use the assessment.
The tool will store and analyze the results and recommend school and home activities based on those results. Districts will be responsible for providing their own hardware.
11/11/14: November Newsletter
- Take a look at our project wide progress monitoring fidelity. We supply guidance to support the use of this report and guiding questions that you will want to consider when looking at students who are being progressed monitored at the rate expected, those being progress monitored at the rate less than expected and those students not being progress monitored at all.
- Prepare your rosters for MOY and required demographics to be added.
- DIBELS Deep training feedback
- Growth Tool Update
10/3/14: October Newsletter
- Progress monitoring fidelity and the impact it had on student growth last year in the project. Reminders about progress monitoring expectations and why progress monitoring is a best practice to drive instruction.
- DIBELS Deep - how to give access to DIBELS Deep results to other professionals working with students.
- Free On-Line DIBELS Next resources for schools - Licenses still available. This is great tool to refresh learning, help new teachers and ensure test administration fidelity. FIrst Come, First Serve!
- Printer Friendly versions of the growth tool added to ELAT resources
9/5/14 : September Newsletter
- Dibels Next Growth: we have added a tool for setting goals in reducing those students at well below benchmark. There will be a webinar demonstrating the use of the tools on September 17, 2014.
- Reporting and Analysis Suite (RAS): Your key to slicing and dicing the data. Use these tools to drive instructional next steps and lead data conversations. Mark your calendar for a webinar on RAS on October 2, 2014
- Year One ELAT Results: The project has some phenomenal results: reducing students who were well below benchmark, increasing students at benchmark and findings that support increased results with high fidelity of progress monitoring.
8/9/14: August Newsletter
- Getting ready for BOY DIBELS Next - make sure you have taken the correct steps to ensure a smooth beginning of the year assessment window
- DIBELS Deep - The progess of the development of this diagnostic on the tool as well as a link to regional trainings
- Analyzing DIBELS Next Growth : How do I measure growth for DIBELS Next? How can I set goals this year? Amplify has developed a tool to help you answer those questions. This tool can be used from the district level to the classroom level.
CDE Principal Consultant
Associate Director, Account Management
ELAT Email List
If you would like to be added to the email list for ELAT updates please email Donna Bright, firstname.lastname@example.org.