Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I renew a 3-year substitute authorization? Am I required to turn in official transcripts again?
To renew a 3-year substitute authorization, you must submit a complete substitute authorization application, including the evaluation fee. You may be required to submit a copy of your official transcripts.
2. I earned my bachelor's degree outside the United States. Is the submission process for the transcripts the same?
No, foreign transcripts must be evaluated for equivalency by one of the following:
Any member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES)
The evaluation documentation received from the agency will need to be uploaded into the application.
3. How long will it take to process the renewal of my Substitute Authorization?
Typically, it will take approximately 4-6 weeks from date of receipt to process a complete substitute authorization application.
4. Where can I check the status of my substitute authorization application submission?
Once your application is submitted within the eLicensing system, you can log into your eLicensing account and click on the "Account Detail" link on the left side of the screen.
5. I have a valid substitute authorization from out-of-state. Do I qualify for a 5-year substitute authorization?
You must hold a valid standard out-of-state teaching license or certificate to qualify for a 5-year substitute authorization. Substitute authorizations, special service providers, principals, and administrators licenses/authorizations are not considered a standard teaching license or certificate and, therefore, cannot be accepted towards the 5-year substitute authorization licensure requirement.
6. Am I required to turn in another fingerprint card and fingerprint fee if I have already held a Colorado license or authorization?
No. The fingerprint background check is required only once by the Colorado Department of Education to meet state law requirements. (If you have already held a valid educator's license/authorization issued after 2003, your fingerprint requirement more than likely has been met.) To verify, please contact our offices.
7. How can I find a job as a substitute teacher in Colorado?
School staffing is the responsibility of each Colorado school district. Please contact districts directly regarding job openings. You can view districts based on region by selecting links on the Colorado School District Regional Map. Job openings are also regularly posted through www.teachincolorado.org.
8. Can a hardcopy application be downloaded or mailed to me and can I fax or mail my application to you?
No, all applications must be completed online using the eLicensing system. Hardcopy applications are not available.
9. Will the substitute authorization cover any specific endorsement area or grade level?
The substitute authorizations are not issued with specific endorsement areas or grade levels. Placement of substitute teachers will be the responsibility of the Colorado school district that will be employing you.
10. Will I qualify for a 5-year substitute authorization if I have an expired Colorado teacher license or certificate?
Yes, you will qualify for a 5-year substitute authorization if you were previously issued a Colorado teacher's license or certificate.
11. Will I qualify for a 5-year substitute authorization if I have an expired out-of-state teacher license or certificate?
No, you must hold a current/valid out-of-state teacher's license to qualify for a Colorado 5-year substitute authorization.
12. May I use my valid Colorado special service provider license to substitute teach?
It is up to the Colorado school district employing you. Please check with their Human Resource Department.
13. May I complete in-service credit in a Colorado school district while working as a substitute teacher and use it to renew my expired professional teaching license?
In-service credit is acceptable as renewal credit. Not all Colorado school districts allow substitute teachers to complete in-service credit. It is up to the school district.
For technical problems with this page please contact the Web Content Coordinator.