NOTICE INVITING PUBLIC COMMENT REGARDING:
ESEA Flexibility Waiver Renewal
Current Information 2015
In February, 2012, Colorado received a two-year waiver to many federal ESEA requirements through a waiver process offered by the Secretary of Education, Arne Duncan. Since that time, CDE has submitted and received approval of several iterations of the waiver, including a one-year extension granted in spring, 2014.
Colorado's current ESEA waiver is set to expire at the end of the 2014-2015 school year. CDE believes the waivers have been helpful to Colorado students, schools, school districts and BOCES by streamlining the state and federal accountability systems and focusing improvement efforts. Therefore, CDE intends to apply for a renewal of Colorado's ESEA waivers by March 31, 2015.
In submitting its updated request for ESEA flexibility, CDE hopes to renew waivers of fourteen ESEA provisions and their associated regulatory, administrative, and reporting requirements through the end of the 2017-2018 school year.
Stakeholder input is fundamental to the Elementary and Secondary Education Act waiver renewal process. As part of the public comment process, CDE seeks input regarding Colorado's proposed waiver and intent to renew from stakeholder groups, including: superintendents, local ESEA program directors, professional organizations, advisory groups, child advocacy groups and the public. Comments received are being compiled and will be included with Colorado's waiver renewal submission and incorporated into a draft of CDE's waiver request as appropriate.
CDE sincerely values your thoughts and perspectives on these issues and invites you to view and comment on the proposed ESEA flexibility waiver. Information that may be helpful as you consider Colorado's ESEA waiver requests is included below. Please submit any comments regarding the ESEA waiver request by March 6, to email@example.com and reference the ESEA waiver section or page number in you communication.
- Phase 1, January 16, 2015 through February 2, 2015 - Stakeholder consultation regarding Colorado's current ESEA Waiver
- Phase 2, February 9, 2015 through March 13, 2015 - Stakeholder consultation regarding Colorado's proposed ESEA waiver renewal request
- Phase 3, March 14, 2015 through March 27, 2015 - Finalize Colorado's renewed ESEA Waiver Request
- March 31, 2015 - Finalize and submit the ESEA Waiver Request
- NEW - ESEA Waiver Background (Presentation)
- Summary of Colorado's Waiver Application
- Overview of the Impact of the Waiver on District and School Accountability
- U.S. Department of Education Waiver Information
- ESEA Flexibility Waiver Renewal Fact Sheet
- Frequently Asked Questions
- State Accountability
- NCLB Accountability
Colorado's Waiver Application 2015
- NEW - Proposed ESEA Flexibility Waiver 2015
- Currently Approved Waiver
- ESEA Flexibility Renewal Form
- Renewal of ESEA Flexibility Assistance Letter from Assistant Secretary
- ESEA Flexibility Renewal Guidance
- Renewal FAQs