You are here
Data Privacy/Security Guidance Around Remote Learning and Virtual Classrooms
- A Best Practice, always, is to never record sessions.
- Under FERPA, parental consent is required to share student PII from educational records.
- Recorded videos or photos taken from videos are considered PII.
- For questions on what criteria determines whether a Video is part of an Educational Record, please review the FAQs on Photos and Video Under FERPA.
- If there is a recorded video or photo taken of a student during a session, and it’s considered part of the educational record, parental consent would be required to share it with a third party.
- Parental permission to use the remote session tool itself would likely be obtained via the ToS (Terms of Service) for the App used to conduct the sessions.
- The app facilitating the sessions should be evaluated for its Safety/Privacy Features and Protocols.
- School staff should coordinate with their schools/districts on the tools they select for remote sessions.
Connect With Us