You are here
RENEW (Rehabilitation for Empowerment, Natural Supports, Education and Work)
About This Resource
RENEW is designed to specifically address the needs of youth with emotional and behavioral challenges, including the need for self-determined planning and service provision, employment and other real-world experiences linked to learning, flexible service provision based on each students' needs, mentoring and positive relationship development, and asset development (linking students to community resources.)
The key features of the RENEW intensive model are:
- (a) self determination, reflected in the personal futures planning model,
- (b) creative and individualized school-to-career services including work-based learning, school-based learning, and connecting activities,
- (c) unconditional service provision and supports,
- (d) strengths-based service provision,
- (e) an emphasis on building relationships and linkages in the community (natural supports),
- (f) flexible resource development and funding,
- (g) wraparound team development, and,
- (h) workplace or career-related mentoring.
The RENEW trainings will focus on building competencies in personal futures planning, knowledge of community resources, resource development and community resource mapping, team building and facilitation, counseling skills, secondary transition planning and special education rules and policies, ethics and confidentiality, flexible education programming (internships, independent study, work-study, among others), naturally supported employment, and crisis management.
Four goals guide the work of highly skilled RENEW facilitators:
- (1) high school completion,
- (2) employment,
- (3) post-secondary education and training, and
- (4) community integration.
No cost information available