You are here
Advancing from an Interim Authorization to an Initial Teacher License
Preparing to Apply
Am I in the Right Place?
This checklist is for applicants seeking to advance from an interim authorization to an initial teaching license only.
If you hold a Colorado initial or professional teaching license or an exchange educator interim authorization, please review the other checklists and make the appropriate selection.
- You will need electronic copies of all documentation, including a copy of the official score report received from either PLACE, PRAXIS or NES.
( Get Help with Document Scanning )
3 years from date of issue
- In most cases, additional fingerprinting is not required for this application.
- If you already hold a valid, CDE-issued educational credential and have consistently maintained an active credential (authorization or license) since you submitted your fingerprints, you can skip this step. We reserve the right to evaluate your application for adherence to the fingerprint requirements and will notify you by email should any follow-up be needed.
- If you have submitted fingerprints for CDE credentialing in the past, but allowed all credentials to lapse and have held no active credential for a period exceeding 1 year, you must submit a new set of fingerprints.
- Confirm you have a valid form of government-issued identification.
( View List of Valid IDs )
- Obtain the results for any Colorado State Board of Education-approved PLACE or Praxis exams you have passed.
( View accepted PLACE content exams )
( View accepted Praxis content exams )
- Optionally, if you have completed an induction program in addition to fulfilling the exam requirements, obtain a copy of your induction certificate to include in your application so that you can be issued a professional license instead of an initial license.
- Within the application you must include employment history for at least the past 5 years.
- Include teaching experience from more than 5 years ago, if you have it.
- If applicable, obtain supporting documentation on the following:
- Past criminal history
- Disciplinary actions
- Any issues related to licensure or employment
Register and Apply
Once you have gathered all of the information listed above, begin the online application process by logging in to your eLicensing account. Select the TEACHER application.
For questions, email CDELicensing@cde.state.co.us or call 303-866-6628.