CDE will be closed on Thursday, Nov. 26 and Friday, Nov. 27 for the Thanksgiving holiday.
You are here
Initial Educational Interpreter Authorization
Preparing to Apply
Am I in the Right Place?
This checklist is for applicants seeking an educational interpreter authorization for the first time or seeking to renew an educational interpreter authorization that has been expired for more than one year. If you are seeking to renew a valid authorization, please review the other checklists and make the appropriate selection.
- You will need electronic copies of all documentation.
( Get Help with Document Scanning )
- Allow ample time to request any third party transcripts or other documentation
5 years from date of issue
- Submit fingerprints to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
- If you already hold a valid, CDE-issued educational credential and have consistently maintained an active credential (authorization or license) since you submitted your fingerprints, you can skip this step. We reserve the right to evaluate your application for adherence to the fingerprint requirements and will notify you by email should any follow-up be needed.
- If you have submitted fingerprints for CDE credentialing in the past, but allowed all credentials to lapse and have held no active credential for a period exceeding 1 year, you must submit a new set of fingerprints.
- Confirm you have a valid form of government-issued identification. ( View List of Valid IDs )
- Copies of current or expired educator licenses/authorizations.
- This is required for out-of-state applicants and strongly encouraged for in-state applicants.
- Obtain official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended indicating that you have earned a minimum of an Associate's Degree in Educational Interpreting or related field. This would include any transfer credits that led to your degree earned. ( View Transcript Requirements )
- Transcripts from institutions outside the US must be in English or include an authentic English translation AND have been evaluated by a NACES-member organization for course-by-course equivalence.
- Certificate for passing the written Educational Interpreter Performance Assessment (EIPA) exam
- Official results for the exam appropriate to your specialty:
- Sign Language Interpreter: Passing score of 3.5 or higher on the EIPA or current certification with the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID)
- Cued Speech Transliterator: A score of 4.0 or higher on the EIPA-Cued Speech exam or a passing score on the Cued Language Transliterator National Certification Exam (CLTNCE)
- Oral Interpreter: current Oral Transliterator Certificate (OTC) from RID
** Please note: An applicant whose authorization has lapsed for one year or more is required to re-take the appropriate assessment(s). **
- Within the application you must include employment history for at least the past 5 years.
- Include employer/business name, dates of employment, reason for leaving, work addresses, supervisor names, and contact information.
- If applicable, obtain supporting documentation on the following:
- Past criminal history
- Disciplinary actions
- Any issues related to licensure or employment
Register and Apply
Once you have gathered all of the information listed above, you are ready to begin the online application process! Just register for the eLicensing system or, if you are already registered, log in. Then, select the Educational Interpreter Authorization" application to get started.
For questions, email CDELicensing@cde.state.co.us or call 303-866-6628.