You are here
Initial Adult Basic Education Authorization
Preparing to Apply
Am I in the Right Place?
This checklist is for applicants seeking an adult basic education authorization for the first time. If you are seeking to renew your authorization, please review the other checklists and make the appropriate selection.
- You will need electronic copies of all documentation.
( Get Help with Document Scanning )
- Allow ample time to request any third party transcripts or other documentation.
5 years from date of issue
- Submit fingerprints to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
- If you already hold a valid, CDE-issued educational credential and have consistently maintained an active credential (authorization or license) since you submitted your fingerprints, you can skip this step. We reserve the right to evaluate your application for adherence to the fingerprint requirements and will notify you by email should any follow-up be needed.
- If you have submitted fingerprints for CDE credentialing in the past, but allowed all credentials to lapse and have held no active credential for a period exceeding 1 year, you must submit a new set of fingerprints.
- Confirm you have a valid form of government-issued identification.
( View List of Valid IDs )
- Obtain copies of current or expired educator licenses/authorizations.
- This is required for out-of-state applicants and strongly encouraged for in-state applicants.
- List the names and addresses of the colleges/universities you have attended.
- State statute requires that you submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended indicating that you have earned a minimum of an Associate's Degree This would include any transfer credits that led to your degree earned. ( View Transcript Requirements )
- Transcripts from institutions outside the US must be in English or include an authentic English translation, and have been evaluated by an established credential evaluation service as selected by CDE for course equivalence. CDE currently only accepts evaluations completed by a NACES member.
- Obtain either:
- Proof that you have successfully completed these required courses: EDU 131, 132, 133, and 134 or EDAE 520, 590, and 620, or
- Certificate of Equivalency for one or more of the required courses listed above.
- Within the application you must include employment history for at least the past 5 years.
- Include employer/business name, dates of employment, reason for leaving, work addresses, supervisor names, and contact information.
- If applicable, obtain supporting documentation on the following:
- Past criminal history
- Disciplinary actions
- Any issues related to licensure or employment
Register and Apply
Once you have gathered all of the information listed above, you are ready to begin the online application process! Just register for the eLicensing system or, if you are already registered, log in. Then, select the Adult Basic Education Authorization application to get started.
For questions, email CDELicensing@cde.state.co.us or call 303-866-6628.