Preparing Colorado's Children
CDE and School Readiness promote a start early approach to school. With a strong, early start Colorado children will be more likely to continually succeed in school. School Readiness supports teachers’ ability to create responsive learning environments that ensure academic and developmental growth for students. This includes promoting awareness of developmentally appropriate practices (DAP) that supports hands-on learning experiences and challenges students’ thinking.
To do this, school readiness assessments are used on an ongoing basis to measure children’s growth. Information collected through the assessments provides teachers with targeted instruction opportunities for individual students and small groups of students, thereby strengthening the learning environment for students.
School Readiness works to ensure that teachers and districts have these tools and resources necessary to implement these strategies. The early years of a child’s life create the foundation for sustained success. CDE is committed to supporting Colorado’s youngest student through supporting their need in implementing school readiness.
Register Now For Summer Regional Mini-Conferences
We are excited to announce our summer training schedule! Trainings will be held in the month of June, in 5 regions throughout the state, and will include a choice of sessions on many different topics in a mini-conference format. Read more about the conferences and sign up now!
SY 2016-2017 School Readiness Portfolio Reimbursement and Teaching Strategies® GOLD® Credit Information
Districts will receive information regarding their specific kindergarten student portfolio credit directly from Teaching Strategies® in May for budget planning purposes. Read the timeline and process for districts who wish to request reimbursement for kindergarten school readiness assessment portfolios or apply for first-time funds. For questions, please contact Daryl Trujillo at Trujillo_D@cde.state.co.us
State Board Approved MOU with Teaching Strategies® Regarding The Use of GOLD® for Kindergarten School Readiness
The Colorado State Board of Education approved a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Teaching Strategies® regarding the use of GOLD® for kindergarten school readiness assessment in 2015. In order to implement the MOU, all kindergarten programs planning to use GOLD® in SY 2016-17 will move onto the expanded Birth-3rd grade platform (2.0) in SY 2016-17. While the platform allows for teachers to utilize the tool up through 3rd grade, there is no state requirement to use the tool beyond kindergarten. The MOU does not apply to preschool programs using GOLD®. The MOU accomplishes the following objectives:
- It streamlines the assessment process for kindergarten teachers by reducing the number of assessment items in the Kindergarten Entry Assessment (KEA) used to measure children's knowledge and skills at kindergarten entry (reduced items highlighted yellow),
- It creates even greater levels of data privacy for kindergarten students through additional privacy safeguards when using the assessment.
Information About the School Readiness Initiative
- Kindergarten School Readiness Overview
- Read more about Senate Bill 08-212, Colorado's Achievement Plan for Kids (CAP4K)
- Read more about Colorado’s Race to the Top Early Learning Challenge fund
School Readiness Assessments and Plans
- Pre-recorded webinar on implementation options for 2015-16 Kindergarten School Readiness Assessments
- HB 15-1323 updates to School Readiness and READ Act requirements
- Updated 2015 School Readiness Assessment Guidance document
Contains guidance related to literacy assessment for the READ Act and school readiness initiative. Includes a sample individual school Readiness Plan.
- Learn more about School Readiness Plans
- School Readiness Plan Template