State Board Approved MOU with Teaching Strategies® Regarding The Use of GOLDtm for Kindergarten School Readiness
In December 2015, the Colorado State Board of Education approved a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Teaching Strategies® regarding the use of GOLDtm for kindergarten school readiness assessment. As a result of this MOU, kindergarten programs using GOLDtm in 2016-2017 will move onto the expanded Birth-3rd grade platform (2.0). Kindergarten programs will also have the option to used a reduced item version of the Kindergarten Entry Assessment Survey (KEA). These changes do not apply to preschool programs using GOLDtm.
- Read the Memorandum of Understanding
- Read the list of reduced items approved for the Kindergarten Entry Assessment Survey (Reduced items highlighted yellow)
Teaching Strategies® Credit for Birth-3rd Grade Platform Subscribers
Teaching Strategies® will apply a 100% portfolio subscription credit to Colorado school districts and their charters currently on the B-3 platform for the 2016-17 school year. The amount of credit will be based on the number of student portfolios purchased in SY 2015-16. Read the memo that was sent to District School Readiness Contacts and Fiscal Managers regarding this process.
More Than Just a Law...
In the early years of each child's life, every experience, every day creates the foundation for success in school and beyond. Colorado demonstrated its commitment to school readiness and success for all children through the passage of Senate Bill 08-212, Colorado’s Achievement Plan for Kids (CAP4K).
The goal of CAP4K is to align Colorado’s preschool through postsecondary education system. The act included provisions related to school readiness for both the State Board of Education and local education providers.
Colorado's School readiness initiative is aimed at promoting the school success of each child entering a Colorado school, recognizing that a strong start in school can close gaps early and prevent other gaps from starting. Colorado is among a host of states implementing school readiness assessments and individual plans to provide educators and families with tools for identifying and supporting each child's areas of strength and areas for growth.
CDE is committed to providing supports and services that increase the chances of success for all children through resources for kindergarten, information about requirements, and support for implementing school readiness plans and assessment practices.
Information About the School Readiness Initiative
- Kindergarten School Readiness Overview
- Read more about Senate Bill 08-212, Colorado's Achievement Plan for Kids (CAP4K)
- Read more about Colorado’s Race to the Top Early Learning Challenge fund
School Readiness Assessments and Plans
- Pre-recorded webinar on implementation options for 2015-16 Kindergarten School Readiness Assessments
- HB 15-1323 updates to School Readiness and READ Act requirements
- Updated 2015 School Readiness Assessment Guidance document
Contains guidance related to literacy assessment for the READ Act and school readiness initiative. Includes a sample individual school Readiness Plan.
- Learn more about School Readiness Plans
- School Readiness Plan Template