According to HB 11-1254, "Bullying" means any written or verbal expression, or physical or electronic act or gesture, or pattern thereof, that is intended to coerce, intimidate, or cause any physical, mental, or emotional harm to any student. "Bullying" is prohibited against any student for any reason, including but not limited to any such behavior that is directed toward a student on the basis of his or her academic performance; or against whom federal and state laws prohibit discrimination upon any of the bases described in section 22-32-109 (1)(11)(l).
This website was created in accordance with the Concerning Measures to Reduce the Frequency of Bullying in Schools ACT (HB 11-1254). Inside these pages you will find resources and tools for schools and communities to utilize in order to reduce the frequency and intensity of bullying behaviors. This website was created with the help of many partners. Thanks to the Colorado Department of Education’s Support and Intervention Unit and Teaching and Learning Unit, the Colorado School Safety Resource Center, Colorado Education Initiative, and schools and districts across Colorado for their help in this endeavor.
- Overview of the Bill
- The ACT
- Bully Prevention Resources from Colorado's Academic Standards - Comprehensive Health
- Colorado Education Initiative Video on HB 11-1254
Educational Service Providers
As of November 15 per HB 11-1254, the CDE will be soliciting schools and districts to submit evidence-based practices, strategies, and programs that address preventing and intervening with bullying behaviors. We would love to hear from you.
- Reducing the Effectiveness of Bullying Behavior in Schools (PDF)
- Technical Assistance Brief, Illinois PBIS Network - Effective Bully Prevention (BP) Within a School-wide System of Positive Behavior Interventions & Supports (PBIS), December 2010 (PDF)
- White House Summit on Bully Prevention - March 10, 2011
- Conference Materials (PDF)
We hope that this website will provide a useful tool to staff, students, and families across Colorado. Please let us know if you have questions, concerns, or additions, Bully Prevention.