Healthy Beverages Policy
The Colorado Department of Education (CDE) Office of School Nutrition (OSN) is currently reviewing the Colorado Healthy Beverage Policy, through the department’s rule review process, to align this policy with the USDA Smart Snacks regulations.Proposed revisions and a crosswalk document that connects state statute and federal regulation to each section of the proposed revised policy can be found at the following links:
There are a couple of items to keep in mind when reviewing these documents:
- The nutritional standards for beverages will completely align with USDA regulations. Proposed language will indicate “current” regulations so even if changes are made to the Interim Final Smart Snacks rule, the Healthy Beverages Policy will still align with those changes.
- Colorado State Statute requires rules to be promulgated for beverages served during the extended day, which is defined in Colorado as “any time spent by students at school after the regular school day, including but not limited to participation in extracurricular activities or childcare programs.” USDA regulations do not cover this time frame. As such, we have proposed that school districts continue to meet the USDA Smart Snacks beverage standards during the extended day. This practice is consistent with how the extended day is handled with the current Healthy Beverages Policy.
A timeline is as follows:
- Written Comment Period
- You may provide written comment to the rules via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The recommended deadline for written comments is Wednesday, Aug. 3, 2016 to allow adequate time for staff to review and incorporate comments into the rules.
- CDE will accept written comments at any time, up to and including, the day of the hearing.
- August 10, 2016, 1:30 p.m.– State Board of Education Rule Making Hearing*
- Oral testimony may occur
- State Board of Education may vote on the proposed policy changes
*This meeting will be held offsite at Colorado Mesa University 1100 N. Ave., UC Meeting Room 213, Grand Junction, CO 81501
- September 14-15 – State Board of Education Meeting
- State Board of Education may vote on proposed policy changes, if not approved in August
If you have any questions, please email Bre Riley or call 303-866-6299.
For additional information, E-Mail: email@example.com