In 1984, the Colorado State Board of Education (SBE) created the Gifted Education State Advisory Committee (GE-SAC) to assist in the improvement of gifted education. The GE-SAC provides advice and makes recommendations to the SBE concerning all aspects of gifted and talented student education. The GE-SAC meets 4-5 times per year, typically from 9 am - 3 pm, at a metro location. Subcommittees of GE-SAC may hold additional meetings. Members are reimbursed for travel costs.
Members of the GE-SAC are appointed by the SBE and must:
- reside in a Colorado congressional district of representation;
- fill a representative role on the GE-SAC as a parent, educator from K-12 or higher education, school or district administrator, education official, businessperson or community representative, or student;
- possess a strong interest in the education of gifted and talented students;
- have a background of involvement in or understanding of education of gifted and talented students;
- be willing and able to serve a three-year term; and
- attend and participate in GE-SAC committee meetings.
The SBE appoints members to the GE-SAC on an annual basis for three year terms beginning in the fall of that year. The SBE strives for gender and ethnic balance for the GE-SAC.
For more information please contact a member in your congressional district.
- GE-SAC Membership Roster 2015-2016 (PDF)
- Congressional District Map (PDF)
- GE-SAC Structure Diagram (PDF)
Those interested in being considered for appointment to the GE-SAC should submit an application:
Director of Gifted Education
Colorado Department of Education
Gifted Education Unit
1560 Broadway, Suite 1175
Denver, CO 80202