You are here
Resources and Guidance
COVID-19 and Preschool Planning for the 2021-22 School Year
Remote Learning Options for State Funded Preschool in the 2021-2022 School Year as a Result of COVID-19 Health Concerns outlines the required approval, assurances and documentation that must be in place for the 2021-22 school year for children enrolled in state funded preschool to access remote learning for children enrolled in the Colorado Preschool Program (CPP) and Preschool Special Education.
Jump to a Section
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Learn the Signs. Act Early
- Colorado Early Learning and Development Guidelines
- North Carolina Early Learning and Development Progressions: Birth to Five
Guidelines for Identifying Young Children with Special Needs (PDF) - April 2018, these guidelines developed by CDE support a comprehensive Child Identification System.
Colorado Preschool Program and Developmental Screening (PDF) - October 2020
ESSU Fact Sheet: Referral Status Updates (PDF): - April 2016
A Model Referral Form for 3 - 5 Child Find is available from Assuring Better Child Health and Development (ABCD)
- Early Childhood Hearing Outreach (ECHO) Initiative
- CDE Guidelines For Childhood & Youth Hearing Screening Programs (PDF) - 2017
- Recorded Webinar on Colorado Early Childhood Hearing Screening Guidelines - 2018
- Colorado Early Childhood Hearing Screening Guidelines Q&A for Early Childhood (PDF) - 2016
- H.E.A.R. Checklist CDE Hearing Screening English (PDF)
- H.E.A.R. Checklist CDE Hearing Screening Spanish (PDF)
- Visual Screening Guidelines: Children Birth to Five Years (PDF)
- Developmental Delay Technical Assistance (PDF) - October 2016
- Guidelines for the Educational Evaluation of Autism Spectrum Disorder (PDF) - February 2018, this guidance supplements the evaluation section of the Guidelines for Identifying Young Children with Special Needs when Autism Spectrum Disorder is suspected.
- Memo: Updated Side-by-Side Comparison of Part C Child Find Responsibilities (PDF) - April 2014
- FAQ: AU Notification Opt Out Policy (PDF) - October 2015, for Children Transitioning from Early Intervention Colorado (Part C) to Preschool Special Education (Part B)
Early Intervention Evaluations HB18-1333
This is the legislative report provided to the Joint Budget Committee from the Colorado Department of Human Services and the Colorado Department of Education regarding the administration of Early Intervention evaluations. Link to Early Intervention Evaluations Study Report.
HB 18-1333 Report to the Joint Budget Committee Concerning Administration of Early Intervention Evaluations, submitted jointly by the Colorado Department of Human Services and the Colorado Department of Education on September 30, 2019. For an accessible version of the section regarding the Early Intervention Evaluations Study Report, Link to Early Intervention Evaluations Study Report.
- IEP Procedural Guidance CDE Office of Special Education (PDF) - revised July 2017
- Specially Designed Instruction (SDI) in Preschool: A Framework for High Engagement and Learning in Colorado
- Guiding Principles about Specially Designed Instruction
- Indicator 6: Early Childhood Settings - OSEP reporting information from the Exceptional Student Services Unit at CDE
- ESSU Technical Assistance: Making Least Restrictive Environment Placement Decisions for Preschool Children, Ages 3 through 5 - updated September 2021
- ESSU Memo: Change in requirements for reporting educational environments for 5-year-old Kindergarteners with disabilities (PDF) - November 2019
- ESSU Technical Assistance: Educational Environments: December 1st Child Count (PDF) - October 2019
- Dear Colleague Letter from OSEP: Related to Preschool Least Restrictive Environments (PDF) - January 2017
- CDE Memo: Preschool Educational Environments and Least Restrictive Environment (PDF) - May 2013
- CDE Guidance: FAPE for Special Education Preschool Students (PDF) - December, 2008
- Indicator 12: Part C to B Transition - reporting information from the Exceptional Student Services Unit at CDE
- Key Differences Between Early Intervention and Preschool Special Education (PDF)
- Gearing Up and Planning for Kindergarten (PDF) - March 2016
- Early Childhood Transition Modules
- National Early Childhood Inclusion Indicators Initiative - Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center (ECTA)
- Indicators of Quality Inclusion in Early Childhood (PDF) - February 2017
- Recognizing and Performing the DEC Recommended Practices
- Policy Statement on Inclusion in Early Childhood Programs (ED & HHS)
- Colorado Department of Education Finance Guidance State Funded Preschool (PDF) - July 2021
- Guidance for Colorado Preschool Program Funding for Students Eligible for Special Education Services (PDF) - March 2016
- Using CPP Funding to fund a full day of Preschool for Children who Qualify for Special Education
- CDE ESSU Memo: Colorado Context and Reminders Regarding OSEP Memorandum on Delays and Denials of Evaluations for Preschool Special Education under IDEA (PDF) - September 2016
- OSEP Memo: A Response to Intervention Process Cannot Be Used to Delay-Deny an Evaluation for Preschool Special Education Services (PDF) - April 2016
- Implementing the Pyramid Model in Colorado (PDF) - February 2013
- Colorado's Pyramid Model Implementation ToolKit
- PEAK Parent Center is a nonprofit that works every day to ensure that all people with disabilities are fully included in their neighborhood schools, communities, employment, and all walks of life.
- CDE Technical Assistance Document: Results Matter Assessment and Preschool- Aged Children with Significant Support Needs (PDF)
- Indicator 7: Preschool Outcomes - reporting information from the Exceptional Student Services Unit at CDE
- Child Outcomes Step by Step (Video) - this video is an introduction to the Preschool Outcomes used in reporting to the Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP).
- Transportation Services for Preschool Children with Disabilities (PDF) - May 2013
- Colorado Student Transportation Disabilities Manual (PDF) - December 2007
- OSEP Letter to Special Education Directors: Ensuring Safe and Appropriate Transportation for Children with Disabilities (PDF) - August 2003